Please make Morb's Ranchable!

I have recently gotten good enough at the game to properly and reliably get into ranching and I love it! Its hard, but its fun. however simple Hatch's didn't feel exceptionally rewarding to breed, it felt like just a slower version of crops that didn't require water. Im starting to incorporate Coal generators into my gameplan, so maybe they will be more useful. Brainstorming more ideas, I set my eyes on the Morb.

There adorable, and I love them. I recently fell in love with Deoderizer and I thought of how useful it would be to have a bunch of Morbs constantly producing polluted oxygen, only to have it refined and sent into my main base. It was then I realised that they were not ranchable. It was very disappointing! But I figured there was a balance reason for it that I didn't see. However, i'd rather there be another way to balance it other then giving it no diet and no way of being tamed or reproduced. What is the point of giving it such a hard way of transporting it (traps) if I cant make proper use of them?

So im effectively asking for this balance choice to be reconsidered, and for Morbs to be a dangerous but potentially fruitful way of generating Oxygen for your base. Seeing how much I love farming and ranching, it would fit be playstyle and be much appreciated.

They are dangerous and potentially fruitful - even if you deodorize the PO2 it's going to take some time before all the slimelung on it dies.

I could see making them wrange-able though. As is I just kill them because I'll make more by backing up toilets if I ever decide to make a farm (and because god knows the 15 I find exploring isn't nearly enough)

I see people talking about the advantages of making ranchable morbs but what about disadvantages?

1. morbs will have a lifespan and will need to be bred and replaced like any other tamed critter

2. They will start producing gas based upon their calorie intake and so they will need to be fed a food source ( most likely rot piles and polluted dirt )

3. Limit number of morbs in a room or they get the overcrowded debuff and reduce PO2 production

Are we sure we want this?

My answer is yes. Downsides are there to balance it, as well as give us something to do. I wouldent want the upsides if it didn't have downsides, its more fun to try to manage the downsides in a recorce management game. And if you don't want that, then just don't try to ranch Morbs.

I get that. The thing is tho, that not everyone cares about what is 'the best' option. Some people like variety, or playing the game in a specific way. I want the option of making a giant base were I have fields of every crop and animal growing, but the Morbs just make that idea feel fruitless or at least, less fulfilling.

If morbs become ranchable, they need to actually give off a decent amount of PO2 though. As it stands now, the amount is pitiful. I did the rough math on another thread, but it takes something like 3 thousand morbs to support 48 hatches (by way of deodorizers). It takes 4 morbs per puft. They need buffed if you're going to limit the amount per room.

6 hours ago, Horserax said:

Im not at the stage of the game were that's a problem thankfully but im not against having them buffed if they choose to make them ranchable. Typically a happy mob produces more anyway, right?

Yes, but when they did the rebalance it was "a happy critter will give about the same amount as before", whereas unhappy ones give alot less than they did before. This would need to be different, in that morbs need to give a solid 10x more if they're going to be limited to like 8 per room. 4x at minimum, but I still think 10x is reasonable.

I don't know enough about the technicals of the game yet for me to properly respond to that. I'm still fairly new at ONI, I haven't played most of the late game stuff mostly cus I keep restarting around day 10-20 cus I feel like I coulda done something better or done a different strat that might be more efficient. 

On 6/21/2018 at 5:05 AM, Juicearific said:

If morbs become ranchable, they need to actually give off a decent amount of PO2 though. As it stands now, the amount is pitiful. I did the rough math on another thread, but it takes something like 3 thousand morbs to support 48 hatches (by way of deodorizers). It takes 4 morbs per puft. They need buffed if you're going to limit the amount per room.

... I was picturing using them to feed Pufts. Are the numbers still insane that way?

Archived