Popped Eardrums problems

I'm relatively new to this game but recently I've been losing my colonies to popped eardrums. I'm not really sure how to prevent it or how to fix it. I thought just digging out large areas would spread out the gasses but that doesn't seem to help. I'm also wondering if this is being caused by my coal generator but I don't know what to use for a power source then. If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated!

Popped eardrums occur when the air pressure is too high in a spot. It doesnt have to be all around your base your dupe just has to move through the affected area. I think you've popped maybe a polluted oxygen bubble? Did you dig in the swamp biome?

If you want to lower the co2 from coal use a carbon skimmer or a couple of algae terrariums. The skimmer is faster.

Edit Btw. If you use terrarium for o2 they tend to over pressure the area. But you can help yourself with some doors a pressure sensor and a little automation.

If you use deoxidizer for o2 generation I would also suggest to use a pressure sensor in the sleeping quarters set to about 1200-1400 so you don't use up too much algae and power 

There is some math involved here, but the basics would be, if you have a cell at 6KG, and you remove 2 tiles of materials, you should have 2 Kg of gas.  That should be fine if you have a small pocket of gas, but not if you have a large pocket of gas.  And gas moves funky in this game.  It moves very slowly to equilibrium.  I built my last base as an inverted U.  The air to the left was at 5kg.  The air in the base was at 1.8.  Over 100 cycles, that should moved to an equal state, but never did.  One of the things I wondered with this update was if you could practically use space to pull a vacuum and remove unwanted or extra gas.  Even if you open a large path to space, gas moves from your asteroid to space excruciatingly slowly.  It might be better to use a pump to send gas to space.  

32 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Popped eardrums occur when the air pressure is too high in a spot. It doesnt have to be all around your base your dupe just has to move through the affected area. I think you've popped maybe a polluted oxygen bubble? Did you dig in the swamp biome?

If you want to lower the co2 from coal use a carbon skimmer or a couple of algae terrariums. The skimmer is faster.

No I haven't dug into a swamp biome. And co2 doesnt seem so be a problem I already have a bunch of algae terrariums. Also I can't find which area is the problem if I hover over a spot it seems to fluctuate a decent amount

10 minutes ago, Carnis said:

The problem is caused by algae terrariums producing O2 Even at overpressure. Either reduce them or get algae deoxidizers.

That's my guess as well. Try to automate them. Either with an automatic valve only watering them if pressure is save or build them on auto doors that open when pressure reaches critical limit.

Archived