Suggestion: Cyrostorage Containers

I'm still finding egg management lacking.  Now that eggs no longer count towards stable population we can incubate eggs in our stables, and that's good.  We can also use an egg cracker set at a lower sub-priority than an incubator to convert excess eggs into cooking ingredients.  The egg cracker has the added benefit of allowing us to specify the exact eggs we want to cook.  These are all steps in the right direction.  All of that said, there are two features we're still missing: incubator queues and permanent egg storage.

A queue for incubators  would reduce the degree of manual input needed to fully automate our stables.  A queue option - complete with a continuous function - would allow us to set up systems wherein dupes would place eggs of our choosing in a vacant incubator if one's available, and convert it into raw egg if one is not. 

The second addition I feel would improve critter management is a means of permanently preserving eggs.  Right now the odds of a species going extinct are low, but it could conceivably happen.  Permanent egg storage would allow us to repopulate the asteroid with a given species should one go extinct for one reason or another.  A cryostorage unit could, when powered, eliminate the loss in viability of all eggs stored within, thus allowing us to keep an backups on hand should catastrophe strike.

PS - On a related note, have you considered adding critter eggs to the pool of possible objects unearthed when digging out buried objects?  Such eggs would need to be immune to viability decay while buried, obviously.  I think it would make prospecting for buried objects a bit more appealing.

I like the digging. I'm not sure how I feel about the permanently stored eggs - eggs don't often work like that anyways. Maybe they could come in the meteors that hit now? Or a building could be added to attempt to attract one from an unseen location? I don't know. It seems weird to me to have permanent egg storage, I'd rather a different way to bring them back from extinction. Though honestly, I'm also OK if they can go extinct just as easily as they do now. It should come down to the player a little bit to keep them in there.

Another possibility that I've been thinking about is reprogramming the printer pod to add certain critters to the printing options.  It would likely require both a Tenured Scientist and a Seasoned Rancher.  Once it's done then whenever you have the option of printing a duplicant you could instead print a critter.  If your sage hatches go extinct you could potentially print up another one.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:54 AM, Man in the Mist said:

Another possibility that I've been thinking about is reprogramming the printer pod to add certain critters to the printing options.  It would likely require both a Tenured Scientist and a Seasoned Rancher.  Once it's done then whenever you have the option of printing a duplicant you could instead print a critter.  If your sage hatches go extinct you could potentially print up another one.

Great idea.  I would think it requiring a Scientist and a Doctor (if/when they're added to the game) would make more sense than a Scientist and a Rancher.  I don't think the groomer at my local Petsmart knows much about genetics and cloning, after all.  :D

Archived