Disconnect Pipes, Vents and Wires

Currently, "Line structures" (pipes, vents and wires) that are side by side can be connected effortlessly; just drag while in the construction view, and they "click" together on the spot without needing a dupe to connect them.

(this is how I keep liquids, air and power from entering my latest room until I'm ready; a full set of disconnected side-by-side tiles... but I digress)

Disconnecting those connections however is a minor set of micromanagement steps; you have to deconstruct one of the connected pipes/vents/wires to force the disconnect, and then you need to build it back into place.

I'm suggesting a new task: "Disconnect". Unlike connection, disconnecting pipes, vents and wires may be set as an actual task; a dupe with Construction will come along and disconnect a tile of pipe/vent/wire from all of its 4 surrounding peers.

That would be convenient but I think the UI tool needs to actually conform to a 'diamond' grid, aka the flats between tiles not the square tiles themselves.  This would be easier to actually do from an ergonomic point of view because you don't need to drag, just click.  We also get more fine grained control, rather then just having all 4 cardinal directions severed we can have just the one we want.  Holding say shift when in pipe laying mode would toggle this state easily.

Also I'm of the opinion that the no-dupe labor means of connecting pipes/wires should be replaced with one that requires labor, but no materials.

My OP was going for simplicity; a single command is easier to code than a diamond follow up which asks the user to specify a cardinal direction.  

But it I can see why the second would be more useful... especially if connecting side-by-side pipes requires labor in the future...

I was imagining a one step process.  When shift is held the selection cursor is selecting only edges, the edge that your mouse is closest too is what's the mouse is considered to be pointing at and this corresponds to a diamond shaped area that overlaps two square tiles.  A single click is thus enough to indicate exactly which edge you want to connect or disconnect.

Good UI is ALWAYS worth the effort in my opinion as frustration in the UI has a spill over effect spoiling many other parts of a game.

On 17/05/2018 at 8:43 PM, ImpalerWrG said:

I was imagining a one step process.  When shift is held the selection cursor is selecting only edges, the edge that your mouse is closest too is what's the mouse is considered to be pointing at and this corresponds to a diamond shaped area that overlaps two square tiles.  A single click is thus enough to indicate exactly which edge you want to connect or disconnect.

Good UI is ALWAYS worth the effort in my opinion as frustration in the UI has a spill over effect spoiling many other parts of a game.

Could be good too to have something like an auto draw for long pipe or wire?

Archived