Counter logic gate

What I suggest they make is a counter logic gate that counts how many times something gets activated. it will keep counting when it detects a standby signal first and then an active signal again etc etc. It would have a control that you can modify that resets itself after exceeding a certain number ( eg. x >10 ). It outputs an active signal when it reaches the maximum number and then goes on standby after passing it.  So like for my example it reaches 10 and outputs an active signal for that duration until it detects something being de-deactivated and activated again, which it then resets (x is greater than 10) and outputs standby signal until it reaches its limit again.

This would be useful for things like counting cycles, counting how many times a storage compactor gets filled, how many times a button gets triggered. etc

This sounds incredibly useful, and quite easy to implement alongside existing automation devices. Something along the lines of a single input, single output device constructed much like a buffer gate.

Some uses I can see for this are:

• Counting cycles for a dormancy period of a geyser, then activating a pump when it comes out of dormancy
  • Counting up AND down for the number of dupes entering a limited access area, and closing access when the occupancy counter is reached
  • Some form of automated abattoir for harvesting critters once a cycle limit is reached

On 4/27/2018 at 10:44 PM, crypticorb said:

This sounds incredibly useful, and quite easy to implement alongside existing automation devices. Something along the lines of a single input, single output device constructed much like a buffer gate.

Some uses I can see for this are:

• Counting cycles for a dormancy period of a geyser, then activating a pump when it comes out of dormancy
  • Counting up AND down for the number of dupes entering a limited access area, and closing access when the occupancy counter is reached
  • Some form of automated abattoir for harvesting critters once a cycle limit is reached

Reading your uses gives me an idea. Alternatively they could also alter both how the clock works and how the duplicant checkpoint works.

The clock could have an added feature where you can specify a delay in cycles before activating itself for the custom schedule you have for the day. By default it would be set for once a day intervals like it is now. But you can alter that number for a delay of however number of cycles you want before it activates. This allows for a much more flexible and  versatile scheduling system.

The duplicant checkpoint could also be altered to detect the number of passing dupes. It would subtract for one direction and add for the other direction and implement that same counter logic I had and have a x greater than system when it reaches its limit it deactivates itself so no dupes can pass. It can have reset port like the memory toggle for added customization for resetting it. This would give the duplicant checkpoint more uses as its more of an expensive door at the moment. You can just use normal doors for the same function.

You can always build a counter with logic circuits.  The footprint may be large, but I understand they are adding flip-flops which should help.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:44 AM, crypticorb said:

Counting cycles for a dormancy period of a geyser, then activating a pump when it comes out of dormancy

Just use a sensor for the presence of fluids/gas~

17 hours ago, jigggy2000 said:

The duplicant checkpoint could also be altered to detect the number of passing dupes. It would subtract for one direction and add for the other direction and implement that same counter logic I had and have a x greater than system when it reaches its limit it deactivates itself so no dupes can pass.

You could do this now with an exosuit checkpoint if there is no alternate route back, the number of suits would be the counter.

You could count with pressure plates too, though not entirely accurate if multiple dupes step on it at the same time.

Archived