Large creatures and defenses?

Was just wondering what the community would think about having to prepare defenses against some sort of large beastie that you wake up later in the game by either digging too far or by generating too much heat or using too much natural resources. The large beastie could be something that is attracted to your base and so you need to find a way to defend you base from it, a giant space monster. Could be fun. Maybe dupes could fight back or tame it or pacify it for unique rewards. This also makes me wonder about future content that maybe has duplicants train to use weapons and make weapons or make base defenses like turrets, or lasers guns, or reinforced doors, or statis time traps or whatever. ONI has no limits lol. What do you think?

I don't know about large creatures, but colony defense - complete with defense turrets and a Security/Soldier job - is something I very much want to see in ONI.  I don't want it to be so prevalent that the game becomes a pseudo tower defense game, but I truly believe the game would be enriched if combat was added to the list of problems we need to solve for.

Side note, I would love a TD minigame that let me harvest resources, even if I have to farm and supply the creatures walking the death route I think dying to the turrets while pathing down to the food box and keeping the survivors for rebreeding is perfectly acceptable slaughterhouse o.o

I don't think the game needs more advanced combat (although in an expansion it might be cool).

I do though like the idea of a big monster that comes to invade your base - check out my Ooze idea here:

The main difference being that you use your own game knowledge/creativity to deal with it, rather than just shooting it :)

Archived