rebreathers to ease exploration

A good quality of life improvement would be a device that supplies some portable oxygen without the complexity of exosuits. A rebreather could allow dupes to travel outside the base without holding their breath the whole time, but not protect against germs or temperature and use basic materials.

Fuel stops for these useless breathing devices called "lungs".

The further we get in version numbers the more we have to think and build decentralized.

Heat eg. is a side-effect of closely packed rooms without possibilities of "natural" heat dissipation.

One possible thing that might be helpful: exosuits are crafted with a full tank of 75kg of oxygen. And you can assign them to a dupe and the dupe will come put it on. You need a dock to recharge it, but that's a bit over a cycle's worth of air for whatever task. Just assign the suit, move them to the job site, lock em in and make em do whatever, then if the suit has leftover charge, drop it wherever for more usage later.

I think the current way it is works well because it limits your exploration in the early game. That is forcing you to use the materials near you before you can go off on a mad digging adventure. Personally I like the slow advance in exploration you make due to lungs getting stronger and your bases oxygen slowly filtering out through doorways into the big bad world.

Depends on the size of the world though I guess, in small worlds a rebreather could be OP as you could rush for powerful biomes/ruins early on. In large worlds with big nasty biomes that limit your progress, it might be ok.

Archived