For so long we have been only able to move material into storage like compactor with sweep command or by using gravity

Can we move material from one place to another on the map without the need of compactor or exploit? It would work great as a way  to lure hatch and feed them early

No there is no other way. You say its exploitative to use the sweep method but what you're essentially asking for is another exploit as I'm pretty sure you're well aware that there is no other way save the aforementioned lol. I thinks its fine the way it is tbh, being able to move materials at a whim feels a bit easy and exploitative in and of itself for me... maybe I'm just used to the way its currently done.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like I said once accustomed to the current method anything that makes it significantly easier "feels" like exploitation. There's a big difference when noting the context. There is an element to making sure things are appropriately sorted after all such as heat, storage, and décor management that eliminating its significance by making things easily movable would severely diminish its purpose. You obviously don't, but I myself enjoy weighing a little cost/benefit ratio in games such as this.

Either way KLei goes about implementing changes such as these, I'm sure it will be in the right direction; I'll leave it to their discretion. I just don't think you'd be an appropriate advocate for the necessary changes if that's the only argument you can come up with as to why it should be implemented despite how rational it is in its pragmatic application.

Any system of pick-up-put-down of items will need to be paired with a limit on the amount of item mass that can be in a tile, over that limit you get some kind of 'rubble' pile which fills the tile and then allows other stuff to start stacking up even higher. 

So long as that is addressed I don't think it would break the game, though the UI to actually execute it will be strange, perhaps the current creature drop arrow can just become a universal 'item drop' and it could be made wider to overhand the tile adjacent to it so you can have stuff thrown down a hole if you want.

Archived