New map hazards, Acids that melt your Dups faces off and actually eat through your base.  Acids would exist naturally in certain parts of the map (caustic biome I'm looking at you) as well as being manufactured industrially in the mid game and used in certain processes.

I see two acid types being likely, Sulfuric acid which is created when solid sulfur contacts water and dissolves, when this acid is evaporated it yields steam and solid sulfur again.  Sufur would be found in the caustic biome and replace the algae deposits that currently exist their an make no sense.  Refining metals in the smelter now yields sulfuric acid as a byproduct rather then hot water.  Sulfuric acid in contact with refined metal will UN-refine it back into ore and liberate steam (as well as obviously deconstructing any building made from refined metal).  Unrefined metal structures resist Sulfuric acid.

Hydrochloric acid is our second acid and is even stronger, it is made when hydrogen and chlorine react with each other as free gasses (thus it's quite dangerous to let them both escape in the base), at a hot enough temperature they separate again (as would any acid).  The caustic biome and the caustic biome would have acid where theses used to be mixed in a pocket).  will dissolve/deconstruct all player made structures other then stone based tiles.  Hydrogen gas is released when the acid reacts and objects are turned into some kind of chloride salt (maybe just plain salt).

Both these acids would come out of geysers and would be very dangerous for your dups, definitely exo-suit type stuff, no jumping into pools of acid.

I like the idea of acids, though they would be extremely deadly!

I don't know much about sulfuric acid, but if it was a by-product of refining metals, how would you safely pipe/transport it? I have horror images of you setting up a refinement machine only to watch as the acid immediately melts through the pipes you've hooked to the output and proceeds to eat through your whole base :D

This would be so cute <3 And ACID FISH! Evil creatures, spiting with acid at unsuspecting dupes. And well, those could be important for processing radioactive ores, if they land in the game anytime. And can't you make abyssalite pipes? I think it should be acid proof.

6 minutes ago, Vincie said:

This would be so cute <3 And ACID FISH! Evil creatures, spiting with acid at unsuspecting dupes. And well, those could be important for processing radioactive ores, if they land in the game anytime. And can't you make abyssalite pipes? I think it should be acid proof.

Oh true, I forgot about abyssalite... Haven't played in a few weeks...

I'd be concerned if you mix hydrogen and chlorine together and it creates hydrochloric acid without igniting the gases or water to ionize it.

Or you get sulfuric acid by putting sulfur in water.

Where did you get all those information anyways?

3 hours ago, RageLeague said:

I'd be concerned if you mix hydrogen and chlorine together and it creates hydrochloric acid without igniting the gases or water to ionize it.

Or you get sulfuric acid by putting sulfur in water.

Where did you get all those information anyways?

ONI is not chemically accurate after all. SO3 should create H2SO4, but I would be OK with sulphur in water anyways. Or a chamical reactor I once mentioned. I wonder why oxylite (irydium peroxide) does not leave iridium behind, while it would make a very strong material for some fancy tools.

Pipes made of stone should be able to handle both kinds of acid without melting.  Likewise plastic pipes would be resistant to both acids.  Metals (and your dups) are the main things that need to be protected from acids so I see spills as being the main threat.  Abysalite pipes definitively would be acid proof (I imagine we can just get a new material trait 'Corrosion resistant' to make it clear which ones resist acids).

Most of this design came from spitballing some basic chemistry and tweaking it to be simple enough to work in the game.

Industrial uses of acids are many and could be used in making plastics prior to accessing oil, refining all kinds of things, they also have low melting and high boiling point.  Acids could be used in batteries, or making fertilizer as well.

Archived