self-sustaining power source (no geysers)

I been playing with the idea of making a self-sustaining power source using fertilizer synthesizers and natural gas generators.  Most people know it takes 3 synthesizers to keep one generator running.  Main problem has been supplying PW to the synthesizers as they need 150 g/s (450 g/s total for 3) and a single generator only makes 87.5 g/s.  

so I have added a morb/puft farm connected to a sweeper and algae distiller to make 400 g/s (total now 487.5 g/s)

now to add up the power use:

1 natural gas generator +800 W

3 fertilizer synthesizers -360 W

1 algae distiller -120 W

1 sweeper -120 W

This gives a total of +200 W not much but if enough stacked together can add up.  Also we can feed the fertilizer to hatches for coal generating and using smart batteries can save enough gas for an extra natural gas generator.  Also might be able to get extra power and natural gas from all the CO2 generated by using slicksters > oil refinery > petroleum generator

Any thoughts on this idea?

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I been playing with the idea of making a self-sustaining power source using fertilizer synthesizers and natural gas generators.  Most people know it takes 3 synthesizers to keep one generator running.  Main problem has been supplying PW to the synthesizers as they need 150 g/s (450 gs total for 3) and a single generator only makes 87.5 g/s.  

so I have added a morb/puft farm connected to a sweeper and algae distiller to make 400 g/s (total now 487.5 g/s)

now to add up the power use:

1 natural gas generator +800 W

3 fertilizer synthesizers -360 W

1 algae distiller -120 W

1 sweeper -120 W

This gives a total of +200 W not much but if enough stacked together can add up.  Also we can feed the fertilizer to hatches for coal generating and using smart batteries can save enough gas for an extra natural gas generator.  Also might be able to get extra power and natural gas from all the CO2 generated by using slicksters > oil refinery > petroleum generator

Any thoughts on this idea?

You can't scale it since the number of Pufts is limited. It can still be useful though if you want to max out power production on renewable/automated systems. Like, converting all the geyser water into p-water, using up all natural gas geysers, feeding fertilizer to Hatches and feeding Slicksters with CO2.

The question is: Can you really capitalize on the extra 3 fertilizer synthesizer and the CO2? Since the number of Hatches and Slicksters is limited, an increase in production may just lead to an overflow of those resources, which would seriously lower the efficiency of this production cycle.

Onwards! Someone has to crunch the numbers!

6 minutes ago, Lacost said:

number of Hatches and Slicksters is limited

this is true but I have seen 1 hatch is enough for 2 fertilizer synthesizers without extra fertilizer piling up (possibly more I haven't tested it)

Also 2 slicksters removes CO2 faster than a single carbon skimmer 

I agree about the pufts as it takes about 5 to make one farm for a distiller so I will only be able to make one perhaps 2 at best

5 Pufts, Isn't the max slime production of Pufts 175 g/s? It would be 3.43 Pufts per Distiller.

If it's really 5 it would be more efficient to directly feed the slime to a Hatch and run it in the generator for a 105W per Pufts.

13 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

5 Pufts, Isn't the max slime production of Pufts 175 g/s? It would be 3.43 Pufts per Distiller.

If it's really 5 it would be more efficient to directly feed the slime to a Hatch and run it in the generator for a 105W per Pufts.

I think your right it was 4 pufts leaving a little extra slime

interesting idea about feeding slime to hatches.  a single coal generator uses 1 kg/s coal so if the hatch slime to coal ratio is 1:1 then I'll need 5.7 pufts to run a single generator.  only thing I would need is a sweeper

that makes power production at 480 W 

NICE! @Kuirem

You could technically even skip the Sweeper and use your Dupes with Water airlock/Chlorine + Exosuit.

Still I think that going for NG by turning the Slime into Algae + PWater would ultimately produce more power since you get ~360 g/s of Fertilizer and 200g/s Algae from your 4 pufts to feed your Hatch which add an extra 336W to your system with the coal generator. Of course the system is far more complex but if you are going for a Geyser-less run it might be worth the trouble to get that little extra juice.

10 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

You could technically even skip the Sweeper and use your Dupes with Water airlock/Chlorine + Exosuit.

Still I think that going for NG by turning the Slime into Algae + PWater would ultimately produce more power since you get ~360 g/s of Fertilizer and 200g/s Algae from your 4 pufts to feed your Hatch which add an extra 336W to your system with the coal generator. Of course the system is far more complex but if you are going for a Geyser-less run it might be worth the trouble to get that little extra juice.

exo suit dock uses 120 W same as sweeper also need extra O2 production for the suit.  Besides I'm trying to fully automate 

also as I'm going geyser-less water will be limited so I was planing on using the algae for O2 production

1 hour ago, Kuirem said:

Isn't the max slime production of Pufts 175 g/s?

I am curious as to were this information came from as every test I make with pufts seems less than these numbers.

did these numbers include when a puft inhales, flies up to the ceiling, poops, then flies back down to inhale again

(A puft needs 2 tiles of space to fly up and down or it won't produce slime)

16 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

From the wiki (and I guess from the game files) but yeah, it probably doesn't take into account that little delay of flying up/down.

trap them with pneumatic doors that way they will work constant and efficient

Archived