Steam Turbine (Working Prototype)

Hi, Im Alrion. have 350h+ in ONI and want to share some of my ideas here. because you can reinvent the wheele any so often, i dont claim to have invented everything my self =)

Thats a working prototype it uses door pumps and runs 24/7 aslong magma is hot enought

i use hydrogen as transfer medium between magma and tungsten plates in debug mode, but it would work with other gases to

everthing is build out of abyssalite tungsten and woolframite

20180224084926_1.thumb.jpg.4c924ca8869126537c92f20bacdd5bad.jpg

the temp sensor is set to hold the temp that exits the turbine above 260C° time on buffers and filter are 3 sec

20180224084914_1.thumb.jpg.f5a1d3f18d5e2dd2df29adedd3aed0a0.jpg

addet a save file for testing.

hf with it guys and girls

PS: there is a strange leak if the pressure gets belove 1kg on ulta high speed in debug mode works fine in game

Steam Turbine.sav

Welcome to the forums bud :)

This appears to be the same build a lot of people have been tinkering with recently - however it suffers from the same mistake a lot of people make which is to try and do all of your boiling with magma.

Magma is the troublesome component of the build, so why waste it's energy? Best to split your boiling into two parts : Pre-boiling, and baking.

Pre-boiling - getting your water source to steam - i.e. tepedizers or aquatuners.

Baking - cooking it further with magma to achieve the silly temperatures we need :D 

Here's my example from a few weeks back plus the forum thread for some of the changes I made.

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

Baking - cooking it further with magma to achieve the silly temperatures we need :D 

If you want terminology that's consistent with the real world - in the power industry (with real steam turbines), we call your "baking" process "superheating"

One benefit of boiling steam and then superheating it later is that you can use regular gas pumps made of gold amalgam once again. You can use a plain old cross flow heat exchanger with gas pipes to superheat your steam, eliminating the need for those silly door pumps (unless you just happen to like door pumps).

Then, preheat your water for boiling in the steam turbine's exhaust, which also cools the steam sufficiently to be piped back in for superheating again.

9 minutes ago, avc15 said:

If you want terminology that's consistent with the real world - in the power industry (with real steam turbines), we call your "baking" process "superheating"

One benefit of boiling steam and then superheating it later is that you can use regular gas pumps made of gold amalgam once again. You can use a plain old cross flow heat exchanger with gas pipes to superheat your steam, eliminating the need for those silly door pumps (unless you just happen to like door pumps).

Then, preheat your water for boiling in the steam turbine's exhaust, which also cools the steam sufficiently to be piped back in for superheating again.

I've no intention of using "industry standard" terms as I direct my posts at the common moron - such as myself :D 

But no, you're right, I just try and keep things simple as a new player might see "super heating" and "heat exchanger" and have a panic attack.

Essentially - "Hot room" and "Hotter room" would do just fine in most cases ;) 

Also, you'll always need those "silly door pumps" to keep your turbines pressurised - until either we get pumps that can be made of refined metals, or specially designed "high temperature" pumps for handling magma/phosphorous gas etc.

5 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Also, you'll always need those "silly door pumps" to keep your turbines pressurised - until either we get pumps that can be made of refined metals, or specially designed "high temperature" pumps for handling magma/phosphorous gas etc.

I'm pretty sure you can do it without, if you're only using magma to superheat your steam. Let me have a crack at it and I'll let you know if I was wrong.

The one thing I'm not completely sure on is what's the melting point of a high pressure gas vent.But, I never use debug mode and the weekend is my busiest time at work, so someone might beat me to it - or it might take me a few days :)

The problem of these builds is that the most of them were made in the debug mode. Have anybody done this in a normal game without the debug mode ? To build such a thing it needs very much time. The vacuum build from Lifegrow is a impossible time eating build in a normal game without the dev mode. It is a great build, but only with the hyper tools like devmode. Build such a structure without cheating (devmode) is nearly impossible.

ähm, i have build it in my normal base and it didnt took all to long (if remember correct 3 cycles).  but i had 2 lockers with the resources needet near

and cause i did allready pumpt ~20.000kg in 2 tile that was converted to steam around 1200C° and i did open the door the turbine did go insta online

loading time in around 4 min so i did decide to copy it in a "empty" world so the loading time is ~10 sec

and 1 more thought on starting it with water/steam. steam you can only pump over 20kg if you use door pump or overflow vent bug. with water on other hand you could go easy to 500kg pressure

Archived