ONI Challenge Concepts

QuQuasar

Thought I'd offer up a few of the more interesting challenge idea's I had...

The Dream Whisperer Challenge

You may only interact with the simulation (designating dig/build orders, queuing jobs, flipping switches... the works) at night and immediately upon arrival. During the day, your dupes are on their own..

Clarification: for QoL purposes, if you have designated a sand block to be dug out and it falls and removes the dig order, then you may put the dig order back on it. This is the only exception to the "no interaction during the day" rule.

The Squaredance Challenge

Dig in a square outwards from the printing pod's 4x4 space, one layer at a time. You must finish digging each layer of the square before you are allowed to start the next, and may only build in tiles you have already dug out.

Clarification: undiggable tiles are excluded from the requirement. Upon creating diggable tiles inside the square (for example, by uncovering ruins or dropping sand from the roof), they must be dug out before you can designate the next layer.

The Minimalist Challenge

Dig/build on the minimum number of tiles necessary to build a semi-sustainable colony for your starting 3 dupes. Use natural tiles for floors and walls wherever possible. Sand and phosphorous count as "sustainable", but otherwise the colony should not require any finite resources.

The Professionalist Challenge

All dupes are to be assigned a job on arrival. Upon mastering that job, they are to immediately be promoted to the next job in the chain.

Clarificiation: This is a stress-based challenge, so it only really qualifies as a challenge if you're also playing on fatalistic stress.

The Leaving Home Challenge

Evacuate all dupes and as many resources as you can carry from the Starting Biome by Cycle 40, wall it off (or annihilate it with debug mode), and try to survive in the outside world.

Clarification: If you're using debug mode, go ahead and use it to copy the printing pod into your new base outside the starting biome. Otherwise, don't. I want the challenge to be accessible to people without debug, so this is entirely optional.

Accept All Duplicants Challenge

You must accept a duplicant every 3 cycles.  No rejecting or delaying.  You lose when your first dupe dies, and are rated by how long you last until that point.

Let us know if you try any of these out, or have any challenge idea's of your own. We can make a list!

Yay!!!! Challenges!

I like the Accept All Duplicants challenge.  You have to accept a duplicant every 3 cycles.  No rejecting or delaying.  You lose when your first dupe dies.  You are rated by how long you make it.

Are these challenges are on miserable and fatalistic?

I like the dream catcher challenge.  My only issue is with things like falling sand.  If you know sand is going to fall and note it beforehand, can you issue orders to fix it, or do you have to provide orders beforehand that will accommodate that?

On the leaving home challenge, can we use debug to take the printing pod with us?

On the Professionalist challenge, people don't already do that?  I know I do. Can they change career tracks?

On square dance:  This challenge sounds interesting.  What happens if you hit ruins or other undigabbles?   What about sand?

My god, these are savage! After the occupation update I can’t get past 45 cycles nevermind just up and leaving the whole starting zone!

I like the style of challenges though. They remind of achievement runs through dungeons in wow. Maybe something they can introduce closer to the finished product. If you survive till cycle X after meeting said requirements. 

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Are these challenges are on miserable and fatalistic?

If you're an expert player for whom Miserable/Fatalistic is already too easy, then sure, go ahead. If Miserable/Fatalistic is still a challenge in it's own right, feel free to attempt these with normal settings.

Professionalist is the only exception, since it only really a challenge in the sense that it adds an additional source of stress, and doing it on normal wouldn't be that much different from playing with a more difficult mood setting.

I'll update the OP with other clarifications...

@QuQuasar Thanks!  I made a thread like this before, I'll link it below.  Some of these challenges are likely inapplicable now with the new update, but some are still good.  It would be cool to have a setup where we could post runs of these challenges easily.  I don't think this forum is designed for it.

(I suggested adding the tag and accidentally deleted the sentence in an edit)  On second thought with the tag, maybe it shouldn't be "challenges".  This forum is for many games, so we should make it ONI specific, like "ONI Challenges" or something like that. 

A couple new challenges for the new update.  Note I haven't tried these yet, they are just brainstorming:

No Berries, for an early game challenge.  If you live long enough to get to sleetwheat, you win!

Enforced Jobs:  No dupe is allowed to do work outside the purview of their job.  All jobs are unchecked and can only be rechecked via taking a job.  This has a few exceptions, like farmers can "Operate" to use the farming station, but they are not allowed in to other areas where Operate jobs exist.  It might be wise to make this only take effect after some cycle when you have an acceptable number of dupes.  Aid can remained checked on any dupe, as there is no aid profession as of yet.

Archived