Split operating/powering into to separate errand types

With the Jobs update, the power task was renamed to operating, based on tinkering instead of based on athletics. This makes more sense if the task is operating some complex piece of equipment, but if it's running in a manual generator, that seems like it should depend more on athletics, and furthermore, should really be a separate job. A trained engineer isn't going to want to spend all day running in a hamster wheel, but an athlete might, and be able to generate more power that way. This would also be good if you still wanted them to run supply and tidying errands, as their high athleticism would be a big help there and they don't have to be limited to errands inside their job.

powerplants are all machines, machines need to be operated and supplied, this seems logical and reasonable to me.  I get what you are saying about the hamster wheel but now so far as I can find they aren't tied to athletics at all in any way now.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:48 PM, TV4Fun said:

A trained engineer isn't going to want to spend all day running in a hamster wheel, but an athlete might, and be able to generate more power that way.

Currently, power generated from running on treadmills depends neither on tinkering nor athletics. However it passively improves both those skills for the duplicant.

Archived