Wins and Fails of this Update

2 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

That's what I'm talking about, that's what they actually tried to do the last build before the rollback. And it looked like it worked, I was starting to like it. They still pulled the lever, to even my surprise. If they did so after such investment of work time, it means the statistics they collect told them the system was considerably worse than flat 1-9 regardless how people now claim they liked it.

Yes, the current priority system is up for an overhaul with jobs now. I hope we'll get it soon and we'll get something good.

Guess I missed that. I did not want to deal with colony killing bugs so I did not personally play the preview, but I read a lot.

While I would like to believe that the revisions were data-driven, the speed at which they happened makes me suspect it was more of a response to a knee-jerk reaction. Hope it was not, but it sure looked like it.

6 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

That's what I'm talking about, that's what they actually tried to do the last build before the rollback. And it looked like it worked, I was starting to like it. They still pulled the lever, to even my surprise. If they did so after such investment of work time, it means the statistics they collect told them the system was considerably worse than flat 1-9 regardless how people now claim they liked it.

Yes, the current priority system is up for an overhaul with jobs now. I hope we'll get it soon and we'll get something good.

Ok this brings up something interesting. Because I think you can look at the prioritiy and job/task system and say that it has to be the most efficient by default. Or you can look at it and say you want the players to have as much control as possible, opening up the possiblity that they might make mistakes in terms of efficiency, but also leave them the freedom to do so if they want to play in a certain way because it feels nice or because in a specific sense it is micro optimized to their situation.

6 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Ok this brings up something interesting. Because I think you can look at the prioritiy and job/task system and say that it has to be the most efficient by default. Or you can look at it and say you want the players to have as much control as possible, opening up the possiblity that they might make mistakes in terms of efficiency, but also leave them the freedom to do so if they want to play in a certain way because it feels nice or because in a specific sense it is micro optimized to their situation.

The thing is, it was more efficient because it gave more control. Control and micromanagement are not the same thing.

36 minutes ago, The Arcanian said:

The thing is, it was more efficient because it gave more control. Control and micromanagement are not the same thing.

I know that they aren't in a strict sense at least. The point I wanted to make though is that more control isn't always going to make things more efficient. But that isn't a bad thing IMO.

9 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I know that they aren't in a strict sense at least. The point I wanted to make though is that more control isn't always going to make things more efficient. But that isn't a bad thing IMO.

True, more control does not always mean more efficient. But in this case, it was both. And with the speed of the reversion, it does not feel like it was given a chance. But that Klei responded to a knee-jerk reaction.

Archived