The March of Civilization--Now With Agriculture!

The Agricultural Revolution!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should I continue this thread onto Year 2, or put it into a new thread for clarity?

• Yes, a new chapter should have its own new beginning.
    • Nah, I'm down with scrolling.

Ah.  Actually I do have a Steam friend who also plays DST, and they post Sims 3 pictures sometimes (after getting the whole package of it in last year's Steam Summer Sale), so you never know...

Also:

willowscamp.png.ee75a22d8f9c10a60f5c78b0fccd37bf.png

Sim-Willow's camp.  :)  (Notice her winter wear even includes a PUFFY VEST!  XD)

Although I got rid of that firepit eventually and replaced it with something more appropriate-looking:

willowbythefirepit.png.d6a880bde7197f68f257d54e67df7a6d.png

House?  What's that?  You will warm yourself up by the fire in the rain, missy, and like it!

...Notorious

Awww, thanks.  :)  And actually, he's my current Steam avatar.  I couldn't think of anything so I was like "Um...something from one of the games I play all the time...that isn't just a screenshot...Sim that I made myself okay good enough done."  Heh. 

simwilsoninvents1.png.5db3dc0c02cc292a14410555c9bc3cae.png

simwilson3.png.4899f2eb8b6d939eac4ab3a7bdd3c764.png

Sim-Willow's full portrait/Create-a-Sim thingie:

simwillow.thumb.png.2374a584b0f851f39bdf55fea9bda9a8.png

I've also made some other DS characters, that came out at...varying degrees of goodness/accuracy.  Wigfrid is my personal favourite.

simwigfrid.thumb.png.3f692ad4d66455bb0eaf83793c220427.png

Hee hee.  :)  One thing about Sims 3 that no other Sims game has, is the Create-a-Style thingie. Basically it allows you to change the colour, pattern, and texture of just about anything, so that once you've got the _shape_ of an item right, _you can make it any colour you want_.  Really like that couch but it's not available in blue?  It is now!

Which is one reason it's the perfect one to make characters in, 'cos I don't have to worry about finding things that happen to already be the right colour.  I can MAKE them that way.  Wigfrid, for example, is wearing a leather armour outfit from Dragon Age with what was originally just tights underneath, textured to _look_ kinda like chainmail.  You can make two pieces look like one piece by making them both exactly the same shade, take patterns that you don't like _off_ of things, (I like this shirt, but I don't like that stripe), etc.  No other Sims game has that--not even 4, which should be MORE advanced.

Anyway.

...Notorious

Heh!  Watching this, I see...

--Yeah you can do that with the ages but I never do.  I like things proportional.  Although I would turn _down_ toddler and teendom a bit, 'cos they're the most annoying ages to play.

--Never turn off free will, I don't care HOW much of a micromanaging tyrant you are.  (That's what the pause button is for!)  It makes them so...BORING!...and is also kinda creepy.

--It is, of course, super dooper fun to make your Sims all weird-lookin' but I tend to do that in customized rather than "yeah whatever's already there good enough" ways.  Heh.

--!  They can sit down on the edge a bathtub to eat?!  _I_ never knew that!  I thought the "sit on whatever random furniture is available instead of just couches and chairs" was Sims 4 only!  Huh.  I actually learned something.  Mind you, the reason I didn't know this is probably because I don't usually _put_ the bathtub near the food...  : P

--Actually, one cool thing about Sims 3 (as an advance over 1 and 2) is you don't have to demolish and then remake the walls anymore.  If you have enough money, you can just PUSH it out to the desired tile and the necessary side-walls will auto-fill in with it!  As someone who often needs to rebuild as I go along, this is kind of a godsend.  (With Sims 4 it's even more so--entire rooms can be slung around at will.)

--Did that bus just make a full U-turn on a small street?  God damn!  (I've never seen them do that--usually the vehicle stays pointing the original direction after the people get in, and goes _that_ way.)

--That's ENOUGH of a roof, it's fine...I mean, the rain isn't _directly_ on them, right?  Temperature isn't a thing, of course.

--Omg, Sims 3 is so much harsher when it comes to punishing you for bad parenting than 2 is!  With 2, they just get a bad memory and low aspiration...which _is_ a problem, don't get me wrong--it can cause them to have temper tantrums, pick fights, not do their homework and get lower grades, etc.--but it CAN be fixed.  It's temporary.  Don't burp the baby enough and its personality is messed up _forever_?!  Wow.

--Ha!  I love that the ENTIRE family gathers to watch Ross Bob's death...INCLUDING THE HORSE!  (Actually I remember a time in Sims 2 when the founder of my legacy, who left behind a lot of people, had everybody including her INFANT great-grandchildren and the freaking _cats_ thinking sadly about "(gravestone!)" so...this is a Sims tradition, I guess.  The kitty looking straight over at Death and _howling_ was so sad...)

--The Sims series has been notorious (at least for me) for random crashes.  SAVE. EARLY. AND. SAVE. OFTEN!  I cannot stress that enough.  The amount of promotions, friends, cool/funny events, and even _babies_ I have lost...! (Heck, that even happened in the aforementioned legacy.  The oldest granddaughter was a second-time baby, as in, the FIRST version of her was wiped out by a crash before I could save.)

--Yeah, there's a roof like that in Sims 2 as well.  I rarely use it.  : P

--I have indeed used the terrain tools--usually to flatten a lot, but sometimes for moats or basements, too.  Like:

castleknox2.thumb.png.567a7fa32811e169ffa7007c41986885.png

This, my proudest Sim-architectural achievement, has both a moat AND a fully-functioning dungeon (so, a basement) as well as terracing.  I really wish I hadn't somehow LOST THE FILE...but at least I have this one picture.  Sigh.  I do wish I had taken pictures from other angles, or at night.  At night the fancy lanterns light up and make the flower gardens and fountains look _so_ pretty.  Or at least they did, before I lost the file.  The indoors is all made into easily-navigable and logically-placed rooms and hallways, decorated in gorgeous and era-appropriate (or at least, not obviously modern) stuff, with torches and candles instead of electric lights, no computers or TVs, etc.  It's a fully-functioning giant castle.  :)

--Cat catching a burglar...I love it.  There's a "security pet" job in Sims 2, at least--and in fact, that's one of the ways you can lift a restriction in the Apocalypse Challenge!  Ha!  XD

...Notorious

Cool!  You should totally take screenshots and let us know how it went.  I do believe this is the very first time somebody else has done a challenge _I_ made up, instead of me doing one somebody else wrote.  That'd be really flattering.  :)

(Now if only the later years of the challenge weren't kinda lame and empty compared to the first ones...but I've never gotten there yet, due to crashes, so I haven't playtested them properly.  It'll be a while before you get there anyway, so...)

Well, obviously I do know about crockpots, you're just not ALLOWED to use them in the first part.  Heh.  As for caves, well...I kinda suck at caves, so I hope that one day one of my Steam friends who _is_ good at them will come by when I'm playing and help walk me through it a bit.  Heh.  The idea is to start off with hardly anything and work your way up to "normal" DST gameplay in (kinda, sorta) the order that technologies were "unlocked" in real life, rather than the tier order from the game.  Hence, The March of Civilization.  Stuff like magic and pig-houses will have to be cludged in wherever, naturally.  : P

...Notorious

21 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Cool!  You should totally take screenshots and let us know how it went.  I do believe this is the very first time somebody else has done a challenge _I_ made up, instead of me doing one somebody else wrote.  That'd be really flattering.  :)

(Now if only the later years of the challenge weren't kinda lame and empty compared to the first ones...but I've never gotten there yet, due to crashes, so I haven't playtested them properly.  It'll be a while before you get there anyway, so...)

Well, obviously I do know about crockpots, you're just not ALLOWED to use them in the first part.  Heh.  As for caves, well...I kinda suck at caves, so I hope that one day one of my Steam friends who _is_ good at them will come by when I'm playing and help walk me through it a bit.  Heh.  The idea is to start off with hardly anything and work your way up to "normal" DST gameplay in (kinda, sorta) the order that technologies were "unlocked" in real life, rather than the tier order from the game.  Hence, The March of Civilization.  Stuff like magic and pig-houses will have to be cludged in wherever, naturally.  : P

...Notorious

Will do haha, I'll post em here. I think I'll choose Wendy to start. Also question, would it be okay if I at some point did this challenge with a modded character I am making? When it's done. He is a sort of peaceful monk-type nomad so I think it would fit. I also like that style of gameplay, building up to better stuff slowly:wilson_vforvictory:

Sure!  That should work.  And if you want, you should dress in "primitive" looking clothing in the first chapter, just for a little extra flavour.  Hee.  Yeah, I dunno what it is, but there's just something about starting from nothing and _gradually_ earning your way up, rather than just BAM! you have everything. 

It's also why I enjoy Sims challenges such as Land Rich, Cash Poor (have to live off the land for all your money, no jobs, can only get two items a day (at first) so you have to be really strategic with it, the seasons are messed up, AND you have to get two Sims who really don't like each other to fall in love and make a family*--all at once) and the aforementioned Apocalypse Challenge.  Or starting from not only an empty farm, but a farm full of weeds, tree stumps and rocks, in Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley.  Something about that kind of gameplay is just satisfying.  :)

...Notorious

*In my case, my Sims finally fell for each other after one of them literally froze to DEATH, and the other successfully pleaded with Death to bring her back.  Then they made out in the snow.  Awww.  If that's not romance, I don't know what is.  : P

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Sure!  That should work.  And if you want, you should dress in "primitive" looking clothing in the first chapter, just for a little extra flavour.  Hee.  Yeah, I dunno what it is, but there's just something about starting from nothing and _gradually_ earning your way up, rather than just BAM! you have everything. 

It's also why I enjoy Sims challenges such as Land Rich, Cash Poor (have to live off the land for all your money, no jobs, can only get two items a day (at first) so you have to be really strategic with it, the seasons are messed up, AND you have to get two Sims who really don't like each other to fall in love and make a family*--all at once) and the aforementioned Apocalypse Challenge.  Or starting from not only an empty farm, but a farm full of weeds, tree stumps and rocks, in Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley.  Something about that kind of gameplay is just satisfying.  :)

I didn't have much in the way of primitive for Wendy. I'm hoping the log/grass armor and spear will do. Yeah it's just very satisfying to see the rewards for your efforts. I'd play the sims 3 more, cause I have it plus expansions, but so far I have yet to have a machine that can run it well enough :/

Anyways, here is my list of mods for the challenge:

Beefalo Milk

Food Allergies

Global Positions

No Thermal Stone Durability

Pickle It

Tamed Ewecus

The beefalo milk and tamed ewecus are sort of for immersion, and I won't be able to make use of them for some time anyway. Pickle it I wanted to try out, while no thermal stone durability and global positions are more for utility purposes. Food Allergies adds a bit of difficulty as it makes you start with a random set of allergies to certain foods. You only find out what they are when you eat them and get a bad reaction.

Anyways, behold, my first set of screenshots from day 1 to 6:

As soon as I spawned in there was a cobble road ready to take me on a journey...

E2nuoHU.jpg

...except I kinda ignored it in favor of some sweet loot. A free sleep dart was just the beginning, though.

xQY9tVj.jpg

I found my first new vegetable, only to discover I was likely going to have to wait 2 years before I could dig it up ;-;

qtuRu72.jpg

A nice bounty of berries to start me off, next to a pond and some rabbits for even more food.

l5LL7Ha.jpg

I stopped by to say hello to the pig king, of course. By now I had accumulated some food, including radishes.

jSwbyx0.jpg

Well well, it seems Wendy has happened upon a mysterious statue and a magical flute...

qDWuOeP.jpg

...also a second sleep dart. At least I have some safety measures in case I get attacked : P

K798YF9.jpg

I was so excited at my finds I neglected to grab grass and only realized as night set in and I realized I had no light. A line of firefly clusters saved me from death.

Ef3sVlH.jpg

Ah, a nice little desert full of cacti, lizards and...

MuxAP4h.jpg

hounds?! Guess I will have to come back later for the gold.

22BT2Hk.jpg

Or inadvertently find some I missed before. Oops.

8SxZ1YL.jpg

As I tried to restore sanity I discovered Wendy's first allergy. Mushrooms. Ah well. 

QIskWds.jpg

I fed the rest to pigs for manure cause... well otherwise they'd rot or kill me.

fIs5s4D.jpg

After obtaining primitive fighting gear Wendy went off on a hunt, finding more lizards on her way.

SQCQbAS.jpg

After finding her prey she was set upon by spiders, which she defeated with her crude spear and a brutal warcry. (Notice the koalefant carefully hiding in the shadows).

PIN0wck.jpg

I squished a butterfly after I stopped by base to summon Abigail, then the next day trapped 2 rabbits for earmuffs in advance.

57WHpPV.jpg

fsShaQX.jpg

And so here I am at the end of day 6 with what I have gathered so far. Wendy looks sort of hopeless there, but I think she'll be alright.

fYiUO2V.jpg

Gotta say I'm having fun so far, despite my failings. I had to rush and pick flowers for a garland as my sanity was suffering from the dark+summoning Abigail. I also found a second allergy, frog legs (which means only fish from the ponds... sigh.)

As I see it got sims-ey???

But calmed down the wae

Here are two screenshots of my march of the civilization world ( I am using no mods except client ones like geometry placement , stats etc. )

20180801161711_1.thumb.jpg.c32fdbf883219e3c9f4016fe8187258e.jpg

After killing like 5 beefalos Wolfhaah ( yeah I named him this way in the 1yr) finally was able to make beefalo hat , hope 1 beefalo can reproduce...20180801162420_1.thumb.jpg.a607d1894758544f85478eeb864e2b3d.jpg

While rushing through the sandy desert Wolfhaah opened ancient tumbleweeds and as suprise they contained same things as if they were clones.

DUN DUN DUUUN

Knowledgeable:  Huh.  I never knew about the food allergies one!  I'll have to try that.  Maybe swap "Thirst" out for that, as my "make things more difficult to balance them back out again" mod...although, for all of its "new thing you have to CONSTANTLY watch out for" annoyance, Thirst _does_ come with wells that look awesomely historical...  I also meant to put in "Beefalo Milk" at some point, but forgot.  But I don't think it's one that HAS to be in at world-gen, so it should be fine. 

(As for tamed Ewecuses...well, I could activate the Winnie mod. That comes with pink ewelos, which are similar (and will fight hounds for you, poop, and...drop cotton candy when they die?  Doesn't tame the ACTUAL Ewecuses that can show up at the end of a hunt and kill the (beep) out of you, though.)

--Two sleep darts that soon...wow.  I love how she semi-threatens the Pig King the second she meets him.  As for the shovel, well, maybe you'll luck out and find one on a dead body.  I did, the first time around (before I accidentally reset my own world like an idiot).  There's also that clockwork Rook + backpack + honey poultice setpiece, that might help you with more storage space.

I am also jealous of your fancy axe.  But at least I got the cool wrought-iron firepit--which looks utterly wrong for the first several years of this challenge.  Heh.

Kinda funny you're using Wendy, considering that's the character I used for my first, simpler attempt at something like this--the "No Science Machine Challenge". 

nosciencemachine.png.49cd913d322d515a4ffc16db35c2f98b.png

BEHOLD, all the cool stuff I...can't do anything with yet!  : P  Without even earmuffs or a thermal stone, however, winter...kinda kicked my butt. Oops.  (This was regular Don't Starve, I should mention.)

IVO: As I understand it...bizzarrely enough, yes--one beefalo CAN reproduce.  I don't know how and I don't wanna know.  But they can.  I've seen it.  (Well, not DIRECTLY, but like, I'd have only one beefalo in an area, then I'd come by next year and there'd be more...)

I should also mention that you _are_ allowed to read blueprints you find in tumbleweeds.  In the No Science Machine Challenge, that's pretty much your only way of advancing.  Here, it might make it so you can use an _allowed_ recipe (for the time-period you're currently in) even if you haven't found gold yet.  :)

...Notorious

And that'll definitely help you in the winter if all you have otherwise is earmuffs, so...yeah, go for it.

Wow.  I just looked up the "food allergies" mod and one of the results an allergy can have is not "just" a bit of HP loss...but straight up, instant, DEATH!  Damn!  That is hard-freakin'-core, yo.  There are no epi-pins in the world of Don't Starve, so...I think I'll stick to Thirst for my difficulty-mod and risk slowly dying of dehydration, thank you.  At least that THAT gives you time and warnings!  : P

At most I think I'll only use the allergies mod on throw-away worlds/runs that I don't really care about...

...Notorious

I downloaded the allergy mod, and it seems you can change the severity of the allergies. So, if you only want to take a bit of damage and not die when you eat those sickly green looking mushrooms you got of the ground in a mysterious forest in a world that tries to kill you, then just configure the settings.

Spoiler

... I don't want to eat greencaps anymore.

Yeah, after I posted that, I felt kinda dumb...see, I thought the three different allergy responses were RANDOM, and you could have any of the three to any of your allergens, and you wouldn't know what at first.  (Which would make the game a bit more Nethack-y rather than rogue-LIKE* for my likings.)  But then I realised that you can _set_ the allergy responses yourself, to ALL be the same level throughout the game, and felt like a doofus.  : P

There's also comments actually _asking_ for the random-severity feature on the mod's homepage, which kinda clued me in, as people wouldn't be asking for something that already exists. 

...usually.  : P

...Notorious

*Any potion can kill you at any time, and you won't know which, 'cos THEY CHANGE EACH GAME!  HA HA!  Knew you'd lose everything when you died and have to start completely over but were okay with that 'cos you thought you'd be able to bring _knowledge_ to the next game?  Joke's on you!  Whereas Don't Starve DOES work like that, which is one of the main things that drew me to it.  Procedurally-generated-permadeath BUT...you can _learn_.

Archived