Maps with geyser/ quicker startup

I like to play a randomly generated map - and not having to find someone on the net which I know for a fact that other people have played already (and propbly done better than me).

I also like to get a geyser in my startup.

But the whole startup lets me go through rolling dupes before showing me the starting map. 

If geyers cannot be a setting during randomly generated maps then at least make it possible for me to roll the dupes only once and recreate the map until I got something I like.

BTW... I love the game - except when they puke all over the place and scream and run around banging their little heads against rock ; - ) 

I am also really, really bad at it. So I have made A LOT OF restarts.

I recommend playing custom game no stress response to get a feel for it, I never select destructive dupes(narcoleptics can be woken up with a move order or red alert(not at all reliable)) and I try to avoid mouth breathers, loud sleepers, heavy eaters, though the last 2 can be worked around with extra room/stuff.  I take it your not getting past cycle 100 because everything is an emergency all the time.  If you can get a feel for how the game should flow without the worries then you can preplan for said worries and build with them in mind before you ever make your first dig order.  As for the geyesers, every map Should have 1 steam, 1 nat gas, 1 chlorine or nat gas.  The only time this should not happen is if POI(Ruins) get placed over geyesers after the fact during world generation.

I personally like narcoleptics more, and i personally think that narcoleptic is a positivetrait - ivebeen building colony with narcoleptic dupes and noneof them exhibited their stress response - and i dint build massage table at all... just passive management with decor in mainarea and sweeping.

well, @Inger i have to agree with @Kabrute that first you have to get the feel for the game, and as for your concerns regarding geysers, they aren't actually that important (in early game) as you can setup some basic stuff without the need of infinite water/power from geysers, but regarding the stress and diseases, it can be quite hard sometimes to handle (the resulting effects), especially if you haven't fully grasp the game.

and there is actually a setting to make your dupe's stress and health more manageable, before you start a new game you can change the setting for stress tolerance and immune system strength.

Thanks guys. And thank you for being nice to me, even if I clearly did not yet understand the game. Geysers are - of cause - on the map always. Just not where you can spot them from the start. I figured that out eventually. With a little help from .... tata... google search.

I still stink at the game and all my bases die from heat (or before that from starvation or watnot). But I have fun - so who cares? 

19 hours ago, Inger said:

I still stink at the game and all my bases die from heat (or before that from starvation or watnot). But I have fun - so who cares? 

Use one builder / researcher / miner (trait, job interest and learning >3 +
Stay small at beginning. Don't add more dupes now.

Dig down a bit, to create a co² pocket for your first muckroot farm, where the temperature is around 22C. (sterile atmo is good against spoiling).
Target tiles to dig, with this texture on it.
5a6807277dbc0_OxygenNotIncludedScreensho
Some  small presents hidden there, for an easy start.
Get access to water, build outhouse first, with a washbin, that they have to wash their hands, when leaving toilets.
Build research/job board. Research farming. Plant planter boxes, at your lowest pocket (not to far away).
Build 4 planters for every dupe you have.
Stay still small.
Research everything and get base stable, without building to much of the new fancy stuff.
Spam deodizers(?), where polluted oxygen is. Put a locker on a wet puddle (make small basin with pitcher pump/water and store there your slime, polluted dirt, but only there. Locker prio 8.
Don't overuse prios, rise them slowly, when needed, keep 9 for emergencys (you have an alarmbutton on top left), both combined is efficient for rescue (entombed), or similar.
Your build prio should be, to leave muckis, while you research (dirt is limited, when toilets/research used it, nothing left, game over), to build a bristle farm with hydrotiles. ^^
Research needs a big pile of water later, keep that in mind. Dig in small parts through slime biome, direction polluted water (deo spam)maxresdefault.jpg,

use door restrictions, to prevent access for dupes, when immunity drops below 85%.
Water sieve clean water. You need no geyser for a gamestart.
Rest is experimenting and experience.

Archived