ocean biome!

I'd love to see an ocean biome.

I'm picturing a big round or oval area that is almost entirely filled with salt water. The bottom would be covered in coral and crabs. the middle would have a few nice fish to catch and if you were lucky enough to spawn a large biome you'd get a whale. It would be a "fog of war" biome and have great pressure, so if you dig out the bottom it would be a base flooding disaster. (Like the intro video.)

• New liquid - salt water.
  • New element - salt (Gathered form salt water or solid deposits that bubble in water like oxylite turning water into salt water, Used to improve food.Preserve food, could be a cure for "salt depletion" )
  • New "Plant" Coral (requires salt water)
  • New creatures -
    • small fish (food, requires salt water), Reproduces
    • giant wale fish (impossible to kill except by draining the ocean), one and done, does not reproduce (where did it come from, it's a mystery!)
    • crabs.(requires salt water, requires coral) Reproduces
  • New buildings -
    • Water lock (hatch that prevents water level from equalizing between sides but allows dupes past),
    • Desalination plant (needs salt water, produces water and salt).
    • Aquarium tank (requires salt water and coral, holds fish or crabs, produces food)
    • Fishing dock
  • New skill,
    • swimming, dupes can skim top of water without sinking.
    • Fishing, dupes can get food form the fishing dock
  • Bubbles - they would not be interactive, but would percolate up from coral periodically

Challenge maps

• One big ocean biome in the middle strata with the starting area moved above it.
  • You're asteroid is actually a planet with an ocean, and you're under it! Better shore up those tunnels, fast!

Edit: Re-posted to suggestion

I really would love that as well. Infact, for my current colony I was already planning to paint an ocean biome in debug mode. I'll certainly stop by this thread once finished. It will mostly not have what you already described, which all would be awesome, but I think I can still paint something nice.

So I quickly drew up my interpretation of an ocean biome:

Schermafdruk20171224.png

Obviously this is done within a current map, meaning there is quite a bit of overlap with other biomes. As such colorization is off. I think colorization should roughly be like the dirt biome.

Now, the ocean biome should be big, really big. Roughly the size of 3 normal biome "bubbles". In my interpretation, the abyssalite on the roof of the cave should be formed into stalactites, to give a real cave feeling.

The bottom surface should be filled with algea forming these typical "trees" (by lack of a better word). This should be very rich algae with high mass, both to cope with the water mass and to emphasize the liveability for the algae. These would mix very well with a coral layer just below it. Below the algae (and imaginary coral) should be gradations of materials, going from soft just below the algae to a bit less soft to a bit more hard. I chose sand > dirt > sandstone.

On both sides of the water should be sedimentary rock mixed with sand.

Temperature should be cold, around 5-9°C.

What I also would like to see, but couldn't draw, are underwater ruins.

For dupes to move in this biome, I'd like to suggest 2 things:

-Fishing boat made out of refined metal or plastic.

-The exosuit to walk the bottom surface. Dupes without the exosuit should get health damage due water pressure if they go too deep.

6 hours ago, Bargeral said:

Aquarium tank (requires salt water and coral, holds fish or crabs, produces food

Only decor. Limit the fishing to the biome. or, at least, make that fishes need minimum amount of water to survive (or something like that).

I really like this idea. It needs some work on the specifics but in general a Ocean Biome with salt water and fish sounds awesome.

21 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

Only decor. Limit the fishing to the biome. or, at least, make that fishes need minimum amount of water to survive (or something like that).

I love the decor Aquarium! Having that in the background layer behind the dupes bed would be so cool.

Archived