Need help with Farm

I just got the game recently and have been doing pretty fine but I'm struggling with maintaining a good farm to keep my food supply up.

I have a plot sectioned off to the side and lines with Farm Tiles. The pressure in the room is good but they just don't grow properly. Is it because of too much carbon dioxide? 

8 minutes ago, Izzy248 said:

. Is it because of too much carbon dioxide? 

When you click on a plant, look in the detailspanel. There it tells you what is wrong/needed.
Maelwood is easy to grow, inside a co² pocket. Food stays fresh in sterile atmosphere, without cooling.

I think I did do that. All I could see in the details was unbreakable. Which was most likely talking about the co2. Air pressure was good. They were watered. But for some reason they were in a constant state of wilting and being back to having grubs on them then wilting again in seconds.

45 minutes ago, Izzy248 said:

I think I did do that. All I could see in the details was unbreakable. Which was most likely talking about the co2. Air pressure was good. They were watered. But for some reason they were in a constant state of wilting and being back to having grubs on them then wilting again in seconds.

What do you mean with "unbreakable"?

Also, what plant or plants are you using? Each plant has its own specific needs. Infact, some plants like mealwood do not require water at all. Some other plants require polluted water and thus will not grown if they are irrigated with clean water. So in order to help you we need to know specifics: plants, which farm tiles and which temperature.

Like oozinator said, you should deduce the cause by the details. Anything that is wrong will show up in red.

Unbreatheable. Sorry. Autocorrect.

At the time I was only using mealwood. Thats why I was so confused because I thought this was supposed to be a relatively tame and easy food source to grow and manage, but when it did the quick changing between phases that prevented me from harvesting any foods I knew I messed up at something.

That was my last build. In my current build I see what happens, Im hoping for better results but we'll see.

image.thumb.png.c3517a7e6f1855d3a2b8232b2f553f48.png

This will feed 10 dupes without a musher indefinitely.  Its a passive deadfall design and I've busted out the bottom so it can absorb more CO2 (instead of my usual pump filter in the top right corner of the garden.)

The top 2 floors have a 3 gap roof for the early days when O2 floods the garden regularly, the lower floors are 2 space.  If something rots on a 3 space floor, the PO2 floats too high to bother the rest of the products but in a 2 high space it creates a low pressure environment that stalls plant growth and creates increased rot speeds of dropped food creating a runaway cycle

It is built 1 floor at a time from the top down, I usually run a microbe musher along side this during the early days.

Once food passes 200kcals I deconstruct the musher and let the plants do their thing

13 hours ago, Izzy248 said:

Unbreatheable. Sorry. Autocorrect.

At the time I was only using mealwood. Thats why I was so confused because I thought this was supposed to be a relatively tame and easy food source to grow and manage, but when it did the quick changing between phases that prevented me from harvesting any foods I knew I messed up at something.

That was my last build. In my current build I see what happens, Im hoping for better results but we'll see.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the term "unbreathable" is not used for plants that have grow issues. Rather, that is used to indicate the atmosphere is unbreathable for dupes. I think you are watching the wrong thing. Click the plant. This will open a panel and show anything wrong in there.

Given you use mealwood, you do not need to give water. Infact it might even cause issues to give them water. Uproot the plants, deconstruct the hydroponic farm tiles and replace them with normal farm tiles. There's absolutely no benefit using hydroponic tiles when a plant does not require water or polluted water.

Mealwood is very easy as long as you keep 2 checks in mind:

-Atmosphere consists out of at least 150gr CO2 or (P)O2.

-Temperature is anywhere between 10 °C and 30 °C.

All else is not required and when something is not required or beneficial, do not apply it.

This may be the issue because when I checked the plants like I said all of the things were good, but it still kept doing the phase shifts. It may be because I was somehow giving them water. Air pressure and everything else was fine. In my latest build everything seems to be going smoothly, so far, as far as mealwood is concerned at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Izzy248 said:

This may be the issue because when I checked the plants like I said all of the things were good, but it still kept doing the phase shifts. It may be because I was somehow giving them water. Air pressure and everything else was fine. In my latest build everything seems to be going smoothly, so far, as far as mealwood is concerned at the moment.

Glad things work out. Maybe there was some weird interaction going on between hot water and the plant, even if the plant is not using water. The plant heats up due the water, stiffles and stops interacting with the water, unstiffles and etc.

just like what @turbonl64 said, for mealwoods there are only three things to worry about:

- atmosphere: o2, polluted o2, or co

- pressure: 150g - 10kg

- temperature: 10°C - 30°C

if you see your mealwood growth halted it could be caused by small patches of gasses (chlorine, hydrogen, natgas) that lingers around trapped in your farm.

Archived