AFK Detection

watermelen671

It's kinda like a kick button, but it's out of the control of the player, so nobody can get kicked randomly for no good reason. It's also a good way to negate the whole issue of people joining a lobby, then going AFK and never allowing the rest of the party to start. (Which, tbh, REALLY sucks and completely destroys the mood.)

Basically how it'll work is say if someone is AFK for 1-2 minutes, a little dialog box will pop-up asking "Are you still there?" with a simple, "Yes, I wish to continue" at the bottom. If the player clicks the "Yes, I wish to continue", then the dialog box would close and the AFK counter would reset. But, if, say, the player doesn't click on anything for another 30 seconds, then the dialog box will close, and another one will pop-up informing the player that "You've been disconnected due to inactivity.", and they'll be disconnected. The system would work in both the lobby, and in-game, and mitigate the problem of AFK griefers and/or trolls.

Edit: Wow, this is getting a lot of attention. Seems like this is something that everybody wants. 

But did I really think everything through? Does nobody think there's flaws in my design? I mean, I was kinda hoping to spark some discussion, have people suggest and elaborate on things I might have missed, or how it could be implemented, or if it could be done better... you get what I mean. :3

On 10/29/2017 at 2:09 PM, watermelen671 said:

with a simple, "Yes, I wish to continue" at the bottom. If the player clicks the "Yes, I wish to continue", then the dialog box would close and the AFK counter would reset.

People who do nothing but afk troll will spam click "yes" just to annoy everyone on the server will exist.

Just now, superlucas1231 said:

People who do nothing but afk troll will spam click "yes" just to annoy everyone on the server will exist.

Ok, so to mitigate that, if the player doesn't pick a character within a minute or so from clicking "Yes", they'll be booted regardless.

2 minutes ago, superlucas1231 said:

Then they'll play as some frail chracter and be afk.

Then the Wilson woth the OCD will revive them, detracting from healing.

Then The Afker screws up the kiting.

Cue everyone cursing at the afker.

You see, the AFK timer doesn't just apply to the lobby, like I said, it also applies in-game.

And if push comes to shove, if there are multiple deaths without any real interaction, then they're booted and have to wait a cooldown period before being able to rejoin another match. It's harsh, it might be unfair for those with poor internet connection, but it might be necessary.

Also, if the AFKer has multiple infractions of being AFK, if they'll have a much stricter version of the system put on them, it'll be temporary, a few days, but instead of the usual 1-2 minutes, they have 20-30 seconds, after that, automatic boot with a 10-minute cooldown period enforced upon them.

Or, there could be a setting in the server creation screen that says:

AFK Detection:

Carefree (None)

Lax (3-4 minutes)

Default (1-2 minutes)

Harsh (45-60 seconds, with an enforced 2-minute cooldown period upon kicking)

Brutal (20-30 seconds, with an enforced 10-minute cooldown period upon kicking)

Zero-Tolerance (15-20 seconds, with a ban from all Zero-Tolerance Servers)

With settings applied for Harsh, Brutal, and Zero-Tolerance, a pop-up will appear warning the player of the AFK detection system, and the consequences of triggering it before they enter the server.

5 minutes ago, superlucas1231 said:

People who press and hold the 'w' key and nothing else.

Well then in that case they should be VAC banned and their IP banned from ever even going near the game ever again.

We'll make it so their computer will burst into flames whenever the player even tries to play the game.

45 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Well then in that case they should be VAC banned and their IP banned from ever even going near the game ever again.

We'll make it so their computer will burst into flames whenever the player even tries to play the game.

They move and play don't starve on a different computer and user but with a Iced laptop that's impposible to burn.

Archived