I don't think the Forge is the right direction for Don't Starve.

Twouble

Heya,

After playing a fair amount of The Forge, I can honestly say that I absolutely love the gameplay of it and new features introduced alongside it (such as the spool/item chest system).

However, I think for a game which has heavy roots in lore such as Don't Starve, tagging it as an open-to-all limited time event kind of ruins it. I can understand wanting to allow everyone to play this 'gamemode', but the concept of having a completely separate game mode from the main game is the entirely wrong direction for this game to be going in, especially if it's limited time.

I think that we can all agree we'd love to see a completable story mode emerge at some point for Don't Starve Together in a similar fashion to the original, allowing us to continue to play through the story. Which is why I believe that this event shouldn't be set as completely limited to a certain time every year (or only once ever, whichever Klei has decided to do).

What I propose Klei could do, is showcase the 'gamemode' for the duration of the event as an open to play thing so people don't miss out on the experience, then once the event is over, add it to the main game as the next section of the story after having beaten the Ancient Gateway (as the forge is heavily implied to occur directly after beating the Ancient Gateway). Keep the cosmetics to just this time of the year, but let this be the next chapter in the story - not an attempt to get people to play the game for limited time cosmetics and experiences. That's not what Don't Starve should be about.

That being said, I love this game to pieces and I will still love it no matter what direction the game goes - keep up the great work guys :)

I think that there should be a modes button which all the events Klei makes can just be put into there when you press on it you see all the modes & can play them but you can't get skins just like how the seasonal events are in survival dst where you can turn Christmas & Halloween on or off!

It truly would be a waste for all this cool new stuff to just go away for a long time/forever after a couple weeks :wilsondisapproving:!

The way I see it, The Forge is going to be the framework for essentially a different game entirely released along side (and tbh could be released on its own) the vanilla experience. With little down-time between each of the different events. For example, every month or so a different battle arena is rotated in and the old one out (UP NEXT: THE FRIDGE)

That said, I would absolutely adore if they added aspects from the forge to the base game. The new weapons are SO good, and with a fair amount of tweaking could fit well in the survival mode (I just wanna blow dart that doesn't have 1 use, and i wanna cast MAGIC MISSILE)

I just really hope this doesn't mean the survival mode is getting left in the dust. It already feels weird having 2 entirely different skin systems. (opening chests with profile icons and banners compared to just get a pleated shirt every few hours(unless they add banners and profile icons to the normal drop table))

I think events like The Forge could be a very good way of testing new features. To see how things work in DST. Something I have missed a lot in DST, was items which gives different person different roles. I would love to have many of these weapon types added to the base game.

Right direction or not, I can tell you that a LOT of people have had an amazing time because of this mode. I know a bunch of steam group members who's days/nights were brightened when they finally won their first game. I've already added some players as friends who are so wonderful, cooperative and polite, and I don't rarely add steam friends mind you.

In a way the direction it's going is irrelevant because as of how it's a LIMITED-TIME event. It just lasts 2-3 weeks in november and then it's gone. No better way to introduce a new game mode and not let it deter the theme of the original game. One of the best updates by Klei

7 hours ago, TheFacelessMane said:

In a way the direction it's going is irrelevant because as of how it's a LIMITED-TIME event. It just lasts 2-3 weeks in november and then it's gone. No better way to introduce a new game mode and not let it deter the theme of the original game. One of the best updates by Klei

If I may, I'd recomend you to read the actual post not just the title before you reply. In this case creator of the topic doesn't mean that Forge game play is wrong direction, but saying that TIME LIMITED events are wrong direction to go.
And I couldn't agree more with him no matter how hard I'd try.
I have spent thousand(or maybe thousands) of hours playing MMO games, and I assure you there is nothing worse than removing "outdated" content from the game. 

11 hours ago, WilsonP said:

I am having fun in the Forge.. buut I don't think it fits 'Don't Starve'.  I hope future events/DLC could be built around new ways of surviving.

what if the forge is a caves like world but still more focused on combat

Archived