More Dupe Stressors

Just spitballing some ideas for quirks and personality traits that could be additional stressors for Dupes. Would make the game interesting.

BTW all of these are half baked and most likely would cause horrible issues but i'm just throwing it out there for possible inspiration. The numbers are just picked out of my ass. They'll probably need to be adjusted for balance/fun.

Fear of Starvation - This Dupe is terrified of going hungry. Will suffer a stress penalty if there are less than 10 cycles worth of food stored.

Power Hungry - This Dupe is terrified of running out power for the colony. Will suffer a stress penalty if power loss is less than 1000kJ per cycle.

Environmentalist - This Dupe hates waste. Will suffer a stress penalty if power loss is greater than 1500kJ per cycle. They will also so suffer a hit if food goes rotten.

Needy - This Dupe needs constant companionship. Will suffer a stress penalty if not within 30 tiles of another dupe.

Misanthrope - This Dupe hates people. Will suffer a stress penalty if within 10 tiles of more than 2 dupes. 

Mysophobic- This Dupe is terrified of germs. Will suffer a stress penalty if near anything with a germ count higher than 10000. Will compulsively disinfect.

Claustrophobic - This dupe is terrified of enclosed spaces. Will suffer a stress penalty if ceiling is not more than 4 spaces up.

Ohh shiny! - This dupe loves shiny things. Will suffer a stress penalty if less than 20t of metals in storage. 

MINE! MINE! MINE! - This dupe is excessively materialistic. Will suffer a stress penalty if less than 400t of raw materials in storage

Mama Bear - This dupe cares deeply for the well-being of others. Will suffer a stress penalty if colony stress rises to above 80%

Depressed - This dupe should never have been printed. Will suffer a stress penalty if anti-depressants aren't available at the apothecary. 

Just some random ideas. 

Depressed dupes that need pills to function would be a little... insensitive, to put it mildly.

That said, I do agree that stress doesn't do a whole lot right now - but when it does kick in, it can easily lead to a colony death spiral. Most notably, criers/vomiters can disrupt crops by invalidating their atmosphere requirements with the liquid on their tiles. This is particularly damning for my mushroom farms, as they're designed like a pit to keep that sweet carbon dioxide in...

I'd like to see more stress responses before we turn the dial up on stress too much, to be honest.

Archived