Naphtha use: Jetpacks!

Before this game, I never even heard of naphtha before, so I was confused when my plastic factory started producing this stuff in tiny amounts. But after doing a bit of research, I learned that it is often used to power jet engines.

This brought a pretty exciting idea to my head that I think would be pretty fun and useful. How about exosuit crafting stations get an alternate recipe for making jetpacks?

The idea is that you either put a jetpack instead of an exosuit in an exosuit station or maybe upgrade exosuits with said jetpacks. By fueling jetpacks with naphtha, duplicants would be able to rocket-propel themselves up and down without the need for ladders. An amazing advantage that could save a lot of dupe traveling time, building time and resources you would otherwise spend on ladders.

Furthermore, should fall damage be added later on in the game, jetpacks would allow falling duplicants to rescue themselves from a fatal crash to the ground.

Of course, something this useful needs something to balance it out. As with real jet engines, jetpacks should emit CO2 and heat, maybe even in a trail to where the dupe was traveling.

I think this would add a ton of fun and usefulness to the game.

9 hours ago, Nero Darkard said:

I learned that it is often used to power jet engines.

Naphta is rather ambiguous term. It can be used for both kerosene (used in jet engines) and diesel fuel (used in cars but very unsuitable for jet engines). Sometimes it's even used for crude oil. And I believe devs already have some purpose in their mind for naphta, I don't think they'd need to introduce it into the game otherwise - plastic items could just decompose back to (smaller amount of) crude oil.

I wonder if we will also be able to get naphtha from the oil refinery when they add a use for it. Seems a bit impractical to refine petroleum into plastic and melt it to get naphtha. It would also make sense, as natural gas and petroleum only cover part of the spectrum of substances that are extracted in crude oil refinement.

Archived