When Did Geysers Change, etc.

Hello, sorry if this has been addressed  (couldn't find anything) but I was wondering when they changed the geysers in the game from the buttholes to the squirting nipples.* 

Which ones did you prefer?

Also how does one go about containing them? I've already decided what I'm going to do I just like to see the building trends on here 

*(No hate, I love this game!)

That change happened in the Outbreak Upgrade about a month ago. They also changed the way geysers spawn: the map will always contain 2 steam geysers, 2 natural gas geysers, and 1 chlorine geyser. I have heard that in particular one of the steam geysers will be in a purple biome and the other will be in a slime biome, though I haven't confirmed that myself.

For containing steam geysers, the best approach is just to seal them in a room with abyssalite tile and pump out the water in abyssalite pipe. (The tile and pipe do not need to be insulated.) A stopgap is to just let the water flow from above your base into your water reservoir according to gravity. This is more useful than it used to be because the first geyser you find is frequently quite far away from the printing pod now, so it may be rather expensive to run pipe and wire out to it. Additionally, a liquid pump will be damaged by the hot water unless it is made of gold amalgam, and it can be hard to obtain gold amalgam without some exposure to Slimelung after the Outbreak Upgrade.

You might hybridize the permanent solution and the stopgap solution: let the geyser water flow to a reservoir close to but outside your base according to gravity and then pump from that intermediate reservoir.

Really? Two geysers? I didn't find but one of each in a 250+ days game, having reached neutronium on both east and west sides of the map, and having already reached liquid phosphorite to the south. They seem to spawn at a random distance of your starting location, as in the 250+ days game, the chlorine gas geyser was just a few stories below my base, and on my current one, natural gas was next to the western neutronium wall, with water being 8-12 stories higher, and chlorine nowhere to be found

As for containing them, the gas ones are fairly easy, I just build six auto doors at the entrance of the geyser room, then build tiles around it until I have a nice, contained space I can put a gas pump into; used to put gas filter as well, but then decided it was a waste, it is cheaper and easier to let the pump suck whatever, and just repair the wrong element damage, then the room will be full of nothing but the gas from the geyser, so the filter will not be needed. Dupes will hardly, if ever need to enter the room.

Archived