Abyssalite on water

Can someone please tell me why, when you have an abyssalite-tile-lined water tank, does it sometimes seem to cool the water and other times seem to do nothing to it?  It seems like it would be relative to the temperature of the abyssalite itself, but that doesn't always seem to be the case.  

Abyssalite tiles don't transfer any heat, at least not within any reasonable amount of playtime. Only thing I can think of right now is that in some situations dropping cold water into your tank can cause a cooling bug. But that's hard to tell without a screenshot.

5 minutes ago, Sevio said:

Abyssalite tiles don't transfer any heat, at least not within any reasonable amount of playtime. Only thing I can think of right now is that in some situations dropping cold water into your tank can cause a cooling bug. But that's hard to tell without a screenshot.

I do have a water drip flowing in but it's at a constant ~80F (27C) from an aquatuner setup.  My water supply suddenly plummeted from about 76 (24C) to 55 (13C) around the time I lined the tank with abyssalite, but, as you can see, some of it was warm abyssalite, and some of it was cool.  I'm not complaining.  I'm always looking for ways to cool water.  I just don't understand what's going on here.

59aafeda85286_Screenshot(216).thumb.png.2eb6c8fd0f470949b2b95b85ab5ab0e3.png

59aafecd415ed_Screenshot(219).thumb.png.5db0983ae7528612e7fb7709094d3cbd.png

59aafed295c7c_Screenshot(218).thumb.png.97909be75c478c76bffe07223ca3f397.png

Well, you are dropping warm water onto a deeper pool of cold water in this case, which seems to have a small heat loss as I found out in post 2 of my Water plumbing experiment:

But it shouldn't be cooling the pool down below the dripping water's temperature.

16 minutes ago, Gravityx said:

The tiles under your terrariums look hot, I assume they arent abysallite? That seems to be where all your heat is going. Since the water isn't going directly into the tank, and instead slowly flowing across tiles horizontally, it cools.

Nope, those are abyssalite too.

I would read through that post @Sevio started, or at least down into the comments. It appears dropping any amount cold water into warm water has a tendency to significantly cool the larger mass. In your screenshots, you also have a bottle emptier - this is another place where water that may be colder than the basin could be introduced.

Another more far fetched theory is that when the abyssalite at the bottom of your basin was introduced, that it somehow transferred that coolness to the water when it was delivered - during construction. It would be very difficult to say though.

Honestly, I wish all abyssalite were the same temperature when the world was generated, or simply a light grey or temperate color. but this is just a builder's wish.

Archived