Make the harvester also sweep the harvest

When the duplicant finishes harvesting, he'll go next highest priority job he can find. If you make the crop delivery a high enough priority job (by giving the fridge/box high enough priority), he will go store it right away.

But I don't think it's a very good idea as he'll spend a lot of time running with each harvested crop.

Perhaps the game could benefit from having designated 'sweep zones'?  So the player designates a zone, and any dropped items in that zone automatically generate a priority X sweep job?  As far as food it'd be very similar to having containers with priority, but it could also be useful to keep living areas tidy.

8 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

any dropped items in that zone automatically generate a priority X sweep job?

Every storage container generates "deliver me all free materials I can contain" at the priority of the container. So if you make a container to contain the material you're interested in having swept immediately, any of that material dropped will have a sweep job of priority of that container associated with it.

The only ting I really want is for the dupes to stop dropping important things right there on the floor when they've done the first thing to them. It sort of feels like they're only completing half the job. Examples are the cook, harvester and the person who cleans the toilet who just drops the polluted dirt wherever on the floor for me to find later when its already released a lot of polluted oxygen.

I think large part of mentioned problems will disappear in next update, when job swapping feature will be implemented. I watched dev stream yesterday, payed attention to dupes behaviour, and noticed they worked MUCH more efficiently in new version.

10 minutes ago, Hohol said:

I think large part of mentioned problems will disappear in next update, when job swapping feature will be implemented. I watched dev stream yesterday, payed attention to dupes behaviour, and noticed they worked MUCH more efficiently in new version.

I don't think so. Dupes will still go after highest priority available job. So if the next cooking/harvesting/whatever else job has higher priority than picking up the result of previous job and storing it somewhere, the dupe will go cook/harvest/whatever again.

5 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Every storage container generates "deliver me all free materials I can contain" at the priority of the container. So if you make a container to contain the material you're interested in having swept immediately, any of that material dropped will have a sweep job of priority of that container associated with it.

Yes, I'm aware, that's why I said " As far as food it'd be very similar to having containers with priority".  But for instance if you wanted your farms kept clear, but don't want your dupes wasting time gathering products in remote areas, it would address that, which container priority cannot do.  Additionally, as I mentioned, it would be useful for keeping the general base clean.  The general clutter that happens in high traffic areas due to dupes dropping material the second they get some other priority in their head irks me.  I would like them to keep those areas clean.  Container priority is ENTIRELY unsuited for that, as I'd have to have containers for every building material, and I don't necessarily want my dupes cleaning all the stone on the map up.  I think there are a variety of situations in which the tool would be useful.

Archived