Here's a preview of what I've been working on.

Not a lot has been going right since I started working on this mod. I made a laundry list of concepts and, as expected, most of them either didn't work, or didn't work how I wanted them to- but that's okay! That's why I made such a long list. I knew there would be things that either couldn't be done or couldn't be done with my current knowledge. It's kind of surreal how much I've learned in the short time I started lurking these threads.

I still have a lot I want to do, but I'm excited to show off what I've done so far!

unknown.png?width=997&height=561

a321b9a09d1094a83848982918723ba3.gif

72d54c4217e126d437684f643df6ae9e.gif

Winnona's current stats (these could change at a future time for balancing issues):

Health  175
Hunger  200
Sanity  100
Damage Modifier   0.75
Sanity Modifier   -0.75

Perks:
Can craft three types of mechanical 'children': melee, ranged, and cargo. (Crafting recipes to be refined. Creature states to be refined.)
Can craft gears with 3 gold nuggets, 3 cut stone, and 4 flint. (Crafting recipe may change.)
Mechonocle - A mechanical monocle that lights up the night at the cost of hunger. (Hunger drain rate to be refined. I could scrap the hunger drain idea and make a craftable 'battery' that has to be consumed.)

Drawbacks:
All creatures are hostile- even pigs and bunnymen -except for clockworks.
Lightning deals more damage.
Fire deals more damage.
Overheats faster.
Freezes faster.

Features I'm working on that are not tied to the character exclusively:
Two types of mechanical turrets and one mechanical trap that can be crafted by anyone.

My goal was to create a high risk, high reward character to give myself a challenge in game, as well as the ability for everyone to make mechanical turrets that would be considered 'low tier' to the Houndius Shootius, and a mechanical trap that dealt a bit more damage, and lasted a little bit longer than the hound tooth trap.

If you like what you see, show me some support by leaving me an inspirational comment to help me through those days I get stupid frustrated. I'll post more updates if you folks are interested. <3

Edited by BigMommaWolf

Keep at it and good work! (nice blend in with the art style :D), progress with foreign systems in my experience has always come with some significant blocks - persistence is usually the key.

If there's anything from my mod that can help you in any area I'd be happy to explain how it works or aid in the construction of a localised system for you.

@Lumina Thank you so much! He's my blank slate for testing the brains for my mechanical pets. I'm getting quite attached to the little guy. He might end up being the melee pet!

2e870d4f30b93b0b8d7f40928cd28adc.gif

@MorickClive The only thing I've ever been very good at is matching art styles. It's helped me get odd jobs here and there. When it comes to learning new systems, I guess I'm a fast learner, but most of the time I learn by making tons of mistakes in rapid succession! XD

Oh wow, that mod sounds super neat! I'm gonna have to download your mod and play with the character to see if there's anything that could be of use to me. Thank you for pointing it out to me!

What we have to see looks incredibly amazing, I have some suggestions:

1: The portrait looks odd compared to the artstyle of portraits, although it looks really, really well, it doesn't seem to fit into the game too well. Look for example at Wickerbottom who I believe is the oldest playable character:

Spoiler

350?cb=20140330212735

2: The damage and sanity modifiers are the same as Wendy's, although not really an "issue", changing them can give you some creativity over some other concepts which are not already made.

3: Gears aren't easy to get for the average player in Don't Starve Together, the recipe is way too easy for a player who would go mining/be with Pig King. HOWEVER. Please keep the gear ability as it will help with her gameplay style and it adds a "new but already in" concept which is very original and also useful (As players won't need to learn what that thing is, and that thing can help with their ongoing works.)

4: Keeping in mind her flaws are overheating, freezing, mobs, fire & lightning, perhaps her third character description line should be:

"Can't blend in with nature." Or something like that.

5: Mechonocle seems to be the same as Slurper, so perhaps it should be more risky than one.

Also, if her followers won't harm Players in PvE you will make history.

Klei hire this user and make this mod vanilla when it comes out or else

@Residays

Thank you for your input! This mod is in super, super early stages, so everything is subject to change!

1. The portrait I threw together for her is only a colored version of a doodle I did for her early concepts. I didn't even create the drawing in the proper resolution, so it looks pretty gross to me. I'll certainly be updating it in the future! XD

2. The damage and sanity modifiers were meant to be the same as Wendy's so that I could have a baseline to work with. Eventually I'll be adjusting them to fit with everything else. Since she'll have mechanical pets, I really wanted her damage to be lower to emphasize her reliance on them. (Is it obvious that Wendy and Webber are my favorite characters? :'D )

3. The gears recipe will be changed, but not until I decide on the exact recipes for the pets. I'm trying to come up with a recipe that will contain renewable resources for the gears, and, quite possibly, a recipe for the pets that uses a non-renewable or limited resource so that I can limit the amount of pets made, or at least limit their mass production. That's going to be my biggest challenge in all of this! I just know it!

4. I have considered a ton of different ways to say that, but yeah, the third feature was going to express that she was 'unnatural' in some way, since she's a biomechanical mashup. I might actually use that if you don't mind. :D

5. I agree. Like the gear recipes, I'll have to find a happy medium for balancing issues.

I haven't tested this mod with anyone yet. Has that followers attacking other players in pve always been an issue?

1 minute ago, BigMommaWolf said:

@Residays

Thank you for your input! This mod is in super, super early stages, so everything is subject to change!

1. The portrait I threw together for her is only a colored version of a doodle I did for her early concepts. I didn't even create the drawing in the proper resolution, so it looks pretty gross to me. I'll certainly be updating it in the future! XD

2. The damage and sanity modifiers were meant to be the same as Wendy's so that I could have a baseline to work with. Eventually I'll be adjusting them to fit with everything else. Since she'll have mechanical pets, I really wanted her damage to be lower to emphasize her reliance on them. (Is it obvious that Wendy and Webber are my favorite characters? :'D )

3. The gears recipe will be changed, but not until I decide on the exact recipes for the pets. I'm trying to come up with a recipe that will contain renewable resources for the gears, and, quite possibly, a recipe for the pets that uses a non-renewable or limited resource so that I can limit the amount of pets made, or at least limit their mass production. That's going to be my biggest challenge in all of this! I just know it!

4. I have considered a ton of different ways to say that, but yeah, the third feature was going to express that she was 'unnatural' in some way, since she's a biomechanical mashup. I might actually use that if you don't mind. :D

5. I agree. Like the gear recipes, I'll have to find a happy medium for balancing issues.

I haven't tested this mod with anyone yet. Has that followers attacking other players in pve always been an issue?

I don't mind you using that.

It might be, I played DST since Early Access, HOWEVER, my PC died during one time and I was left 1 year without a computer.

What I'm talking about is that Webber can befriend spiders, but spiders are hostile mobs and well... yeah...

Will you use Winnona's leaked speech file?

10 minutes ago, BigMommaWolf said:

@Residays What leaked speech file? :o

During a hotfix, Klei accidentally added her speech files, they were removed in another though.

Just open the spoiler at the bottom and you will have a complete speech file made by the devs... probably not her special item, though.

Edited by Residays
Some of my text mysteriously dissapeared!

@Residays

I just googled it and HOLY HECK. I don't know whether to be freaked out or amazed!

Winnona (my character) is based off of a steampunk pistoleer I made for a d20 game called Iron Kingdoms.
Winona (an unimplemented character) seems to have implications that she too has to do with machines and mechanics.

REPAIR =
        {
            WRONGPIECE = "That'd clog up the assembly line.",
        },
        BUILD =
        {
            MOUNTED = "Can't assemble it up here.",
            HASPET = "Nah. I'm a one-pet gal.",
        },
        SHAVE =
        {
            AWAKEBEEFALO = "Dirty work's not for broad daylight.",
            GENERIC = "Misusing tools'd be a workplace hazard.",
            NOBITS = "Smooth as sheet metal.",
        },

I have chills this is spooky! XD

(I found the same thread as you apparently. I should have refreshed before I posted!)

Edited by BigMommaWolf

6 minutes ago, BigMommaWolf said:

@Residays

I just googled it and HOLY HECK. I don't know whether to be freaked out or amazed!

Winnona (my character) is based off of a steampunk pistoleer I made for a d20 game called Iron Kingdoms.
Winona (an unimplemented character) seems to have implications that she too has to do with machines and mechanics.

REPAIR =
        {
            WRONGPIECE = "That'd clog up the assembly line.",
        },
        BUILD =
        {
            MOUNTED = "Can't assemble it up here.",
            HASPET = "Nah. I'm a one-pet gal.",
        },
        SHAVE =
        {
            AWAKEBEEFALO = "Dirty work's not for broad daylight.",
            GENERIC = "Misusing tools'd be a workplace hazard.",
            NOBITS = "Smooth as sheet metal.",
        },

I have chills this is spooky! XD

So you're telling me your character is not based on that?

well

lolbye.gif

We can't know. It's totally possible, and could also never happen. I guess that winnona is ok, yes, sure, it's close, but it will not cause crash or mod not compatible or anything so it's fine for this. And for the fact that the names are close, well... It happens.

33 minutes ago, BigMommaWolf said:

@Residays Not at all! I'm completely spooped!

Do you think the character will ever be implemented? (Because I really don't want to change my character's name. XD )

50/50.

And name similarities aren't really issue, even less when they are limited to start with W to be fitting.

@Lumina @Residays

I could find less than 100 unique W names for girls that didn't make me feel like I would appropriating any cultures that were not my own. Some of those were already taken by characters in the game or mods I've already seen.

I'm still spooped about this Winona character. Her themes and personality are too close for comfort. XD

(I hope this doesn't happen with the satyr character I'm working on for a friend named Wooley. Maybe I should do some more research first...)

@Lumina

Funny story about Wortox: I didn't know he was an unimplemented character until a few days ago. Until then, I thought he was a personal character someone made for a mod. :p

Fortunately, Wooley looks nothing like Wortox. He was loosely modeled after a combination of the volt goat and Krampus.

Spoiler

wooley-portrait.png

I'm gonna keep working on the mechanical pet brains today, so here's some concept art for the 'turrets' to be craftable by all players.

turrets.png

These are purely concepts, and all is subject to change; I just wanted to see what you folks thought. :p

Edited by BigMommaWolf

@Lumina My problem is that my brain has a hard time 'switching' to code mode, since I think in images all the time. It can get overwhelming when I can visualize how a function is supposed to work, but it doesn't work the way I visualized it. @.@

Edit: It also doesn't help that I have bad dyslexia. You can tell in my turret drawing where I wrote "refeul" twice instead of "refuel". XD

Edited by BigMommaWolf

2 hours ago, BigMommaWolf said:

Edit: It also doesn't help that I have bad dyslexia. You can tell in my turret drawing where I wrote "refeul" twice instead of "refuel". XD

Ah, yeah, this doesn't help. I already spend time trying to search why my code wasn't working, and finally found i forgot one letter in a place. But for me it happen rarely. For you, it must make things harder... :/