Hi all!

I just found something new in my asteroid. Pockets of polluted O2. I didn't really payed attention, as dirty O2 is just regular stuff. But when I opened it suddenly my whole room there was filled with polluted O2. So I looked at the concentrations of some other polluted O2 pockets, turns out those are ridiculously high, like extremely high.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

9834832e36bd0075bd9fbc838ce81b2c.jpg

96a253e5dabf04b168c9e59073361fc4.png

For real? polluted oxygen on 250 KG per tile... the average oxygen pressure in my base is 1 to 2 kg tops, so one tile of this stuff will spread out to 125 other tiles, and still suppress the clean oxygen.

For people saying that I should use an airlock, these don't really work, even with three doors. I could use a water lock, but that gives nasty debuffs all the time.

Polluted Water generates polluted oxygen in the presence of oxygen/polluted oxygen.

A side effect is that it introduces a game mechanic to amplify dangers as your game progresses. Those that are not aware of pressure will break into the chamber unknowingly at first then realize the chamber pressure is huuuuge.

A bonus is that early this rewards with early game space exploration and chamber claims because the concentration is only in single digit kg's. At 400 cycles, these chambers I never claimed are now in the multiple 100's kg of pressure. It forces the player to build up in terms of technology and management to annex this location.

A layer of Carbon Dioxide on top of polluted water will halt the process.

6 minutes ago, CodingKitteh said:

Polluted Water generates polluted oxygen in the presence of oxygen/polluted oxygen.

A side effect is that it introduces a game mechanic to amplify dangers as your game progresses. Those that are not aware of pressure will break into the chamber unknowingly at first then realize the chamber pressure is huuuuge.

A bonus is that early this rewards with early game space exploration and chamber claims because the concentration is only in single digit kg's. At 400 cycles, these chambers I never claimed are now in the multiple 100's kg of pressure. It forces the player to build up in terms of technology and management to annex this location.

A layer of Carbon Dioxide on top of polluted water will halt the process.

Will a layer of clean water on top help as well?

1 minute ago, turbonl64 said:

Will a layer of clean water on top help as well?

I haven't made that observation but I cannot see why it wouldn't work. Most of the time, it's always carbon dioxide that just naturally covers the pool since it's on the bottom of my base or in some oxygen deprived environment.

5 minutes ago, CodingKitteh said:

I haven't made that observation but I cannot see why it wouldn't work. Most of the time, it's always carbon dioxide that just naturally covers the pool since it's on the bottom of my base or in some oxygen deprived environment.

I'll try out clean water as I need something to quickly cover the pool of dirty water below my second living quarters, which does not have carbon dioxide at the water surface yet. I'll get back to this as soon as I have some results.

So I think putting on a layer of clean water helps as well, as long as you have a blue hue between the polluted water and polluted oxygen.

In my opinion, this is a bug. I don't mind getting a bit of a punishment for delaying exploration, but next to the fact it is actually a reward now (free oxygen for the dupes, yay) it is impossible to get rid of it without liquifying it.

I've wondered as well, if it's a bug, or an intended challenge.  I also was wondering if the offgassing reduces the mass of the polluted water, or if it just generatos the polluted oxygen from nothing?  That would definitely be bug class.   I don't mind it getting to pretty high pressures as a game challenge, but there really should be an upper limit.  I usually deal with it by putting slime biomes behind 4 airlock doors, and having large cavernous areas dug out before breaking into these high pressure pockets.  That way they first pressurize the already polluted slime biome air.  But I also avoid pockets that I can just work around.

I encountered this in a previous playthrough.  I built an airlock which allowed some CO2 through but I also built an algae terrarium by the door inside the pocket of CO2.  It took nearly 40 cycles but it cleaned the air enough for me to open it and ton of high concentrated oxygen spilled into my base which was helpful at that time.  I don't know if it's a glitch but you can turn it to your advantage with enough patience.

6 hours ago, Falcore555 said:

I encountered this in a previous playthrough.  I built an airlock which allowed some CO2 through but I also built an algae terrarium by the door inside the pocket of CO2.  It took nearly 40 cycles but it cleaned the air enough for me to open it and ton of high concentrated oxygen spilled into my base which was helpful at that time.  I don't know if it's a glitch but you can turn it to your advantage with enough patience.

We are not talking about CO2, that would not be such a deal cause you can easily remove it for the price of power or algae, which are both renewable. The polluted oxygen is only easily removed using sand, which is not renewable. So after a few of these pockets you will have to use the more advance tricks to clean it to good O2, which is an extra, maybe unwanted, challenge...

Archived