Starting Oxygen Options

Hello, I just finished my 28th hour in the game, and I only have a couple ideas, so far. I figured I'd keep it to the one, though, for now.

I think we need more Oxygen options at the start of the game. While Algae Oxidizers are helpful, I always end up running out of Algae before I my research can create the system necessary to maintain a water based system. I use two basic research and one super computer right now, but that takes 3 of my dupelicants away from any other work for quite a while.

Because of this, I started thinking about the potted plants in the decor tab. Wouldn't it make sense that a plant would take in CO2 and turn it into Oxygen? Maybe make them worth less decor, but give them some oxygen output to make up for it?

I'm sure other people have other solutions to this problem, but I hate having to reset my world every time I don't start with enough Algae.

The ultimate oxygen solution is the electrolyzer. Liquid Piping -> Percolation in research and you have the technology you need to set it up. I think it can be done by cycle 5 or so in the game. You may need to go after Gas Piping and Performance Combustion after that to get rid of the hydrogen, but digging a large enough room under your roof for the hydrogen to have room to collect can delay that need substantially.

I had one base where I got a lucky oxylite start, and didn't ever build algae deoxidizers in the beginning (only later for grow rooms).  I went straight from oxylite to electrolyzer.   That was using just one of each computer.  That was a lucky oxylite start, but I've neer really had algae troubles.   I think that one thing that can help, is don't excavate a giant cavernous base right at the start.  The more you excavate, the more you spread out what oxygen you have.  Try to expand only as you need, rather than giving in to the temptation to plan our your whole base from the start and dig it all out.  Also maybe make sure you have one pretty good research dupe to start. 

As for plants, these are alien plants.  And it seems like all the alien plants don't care one whit what gas they are in.  They apparently subsist on heat and water.  Maybe it might be ok if bristle briars were the ones, and they die eventually.  Since they're non-renewable, then you would eventually have to wean yourself off of them.  It'd definitely be nice if they had *something* other than decor about them.  I never use them, as they're redundant once you have art.

When I start I go through the dupes to make sure I always have one that is a good learner. When I get my base somewhat expanded I make that guy only research and deliver. I have all my research done before I even get my electrolyzer system up and running. I usually have one algae oxidizer kind of centralized and a couple terrariums in high co2 locations. 

Plants taking up C02 and outputting oxygen, even if it's minimal would be cool. Or like brummbar said, since they are alien maybe they could have a similar mechanic but with different gases. That could add another element of strategy to the game if you have plants that output hydrogen, and it would make hydrogen generators more useful as well. Hydrogen is one element of the game that grinds my gears at the moment.

Archived