Frustration incarnate

Me: Stop everything and make food.

Them: (ignore)

Immediately after this was taken, a third passed out from hunger.  I've done EVERYTHING I can think of to get them start making food again. The musher is priority 9 and every single thing else is priority 1.  Yet all they seem to want to do is stand around with their thumbs in their arse or go to the frontier of my base for polluted water, flooding the section in the process, ignoring two closer sources of clean water.  Am I missing something or did I find a bug?

raaaage.png

raaaage2.png

It may be a bug, but I think it's more likely that the pathing considers the airlock as being blocked by the water.  I would try to build a small ladder at the top of your reservoir (to the left of your generators) reaching down into the pool, and it might make fix the dupe behavior.

10 minutes ago, clamjam said:

It may be a bug, but I think it's more likely that the pathing considers the airlock as being blocked by the water.  I would try to build a small ladder at the top of your reservoir (to the left of your generators) reaching down into the pool, and it might make fix the dupe behavior.

Holy crap,  you nailed it. They're acting normally now. Thank you!

Just now, Masterpintsman said:

Maybe you should disable red alert?

I had two people die of starvation and another two passed out.  Didn't want the last two going to bed or to the massage tables with people dying.  Their stress level was was the least of my concerns.

5 hours ago, Nidhoggur said:

Hm.. this layout looks strange to me. :) why would you build doors underwater on one side? Maybe they simply cannot get to any water? At all.

So I can put liquid pumps as far down as possible.  I carve a tunnel until I'm one tile from the water, build my pump, then put an airlock and run power and water leads out of it.  Then I make a temp ladder that goes to where the pump is and dig out the two tiles, flooding the pump.  It has it's problems, but when I do it right, I don't have to worry about water for a long time.  Beforehand I channel as much water as possible from above into large chambers I carve out.  It all makes sense to me, but there's probably simpler ways to do it.  Why not just the ladder?  The chambers I make are usually too deep to make repairs on the pump or walls once filled, at least, my dupes basically refuse to go but so deep. Plus it gives me something to build toward.

Oh, I get it now. :) Didn't notice the pumps on a small picture. Yeah, makes sense. Although I got used to just building a ladder all the way from the top of a water source, and placing the pump underwater. The dupes seem to hold their breath for enough time to do this. And it somehow seems safer to me than doors at the bottom. :)

Archived