question about atmosphere flow and "buildings"

In another thread Kasuha was talking about what could occupy a tile, and he brought something up that confuses me.  Hopefully he, or anyone really, can explain it because if I am not understanding it entirely then I suspect other players may be confused as well.

... there's just one element per tile - it can be solid, it can be liquid, or it can be gas, in all cases of single type. They don't mix. ...

So, does anyone understand -- and if so;  please explain to me -- how "buildings" interact with that?  I'm a bit confused in that in certain cases I can see the atmosphere occupying the space of something and flowing, but in others I can't.

Specifically I am confused by the case where horizontal flow of atmosphere seems to occupy and pass through "buildings" but vertical flow through a gas-permeable tile is stopped by having a "building" (a battery in my latest instance) to block the flow of the gas downwards.  (I was working on a central utility-shaft idea that would carry heavy power and diffuse O2 through gas-permeable tiling to adjacent but walled off rooms)

Things like storage compactors, pipes, wires, or dug materials are objects that don't "occupy space" in a tile. They exchange heat with the contents of the tile and may perhaps consume or produce some gas or liquid but otherwise they don't participate in physics simulation. That's the case for most things dupes can build. Gas permeable tile is a special case as it will stop liquid but won't stop gas. Wall tile acts quite like terrain tile.

11 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

vertical flow through a gas-permeable tile is stopped by having a "building" (a battery in my latest instance) to block the flow of the gas downwards

Gas permeable tile won't stop vertical flow of gases and neither will the battery. Most likely you have a layer of liquid on top of the tile and since that layer occupies whole tile above the gas permeable floor, the gas can't pass through it.

I am not sure if this helps but I have never had an issue with gas going down unless there is another gas coming up, I find the gas that is rising pushes the gas that is coming down up, slowly over time the gas will make it to the bottom. I dont know if maybe since your batteries are hot they make gas rise? I dont know if that is a thing in this game as my base is entirely stone cold

Archived