[Mod idea] Make the lazy deserter useful for 2 players servers

Hello dear forum members,

Since I'm playing on my server only with one other person the lazy deserter can't be used to its full extent. I was thinking of a mechanic that would allow a better use of it in the following way:

Make a lazy deserter able to be toggled on or off (activated/deactivated). So for example you have one in your base and one near the pig king. Right clicking the one in the base will toggle it as activated and keep it that way with the player being able to mind his business from there on, and the moment someone right clicks the one near the pig king it will be teleported to the base. The lazy deserter in the base would from henceforth  deactivate until further right clicking if desired.

The idea is that only one lazy deserter could be kept "active" at any time. So that if you have multiple ones, no matter which one you right click it will always teleport to the "active" lazy deserter. Note that any lazy deserter can be made "active", but only one can be active at any given time.

I would personally increase the sanity penalty to the player right clicking to make the "active" lazy deserter that's always on.

I had a look at the lazy deserter game file, townportal.lua and I would guess the trick would involve modifying the OnStartChanneling and OnStopChanneling functions, maybe so that the second one is always true once the first one has been called? I am not sure as it seems to be way over my lua knowledge. Any kind of help or direction would be greatly appreciated, I really think such a mod would suit many people, and I'm surprised one like it isn't already in the steam workshop. :)

Edited by t1morino88eex

I could make such a mod, but unfortunately I did not played with lazy deserter yet.
So could you please explain a bit how it usually works and why this is not good for 2 people? This will help to understand the changes you wish like to see and helps to understand lua files ^^

Absolutely! You can craft the Lazy Deserter from the Magic Tab and it's basically a structure you can build. The way it works is like this: you have 2 of them placed somewhere around the map and one player right clicks it and starts channeling. While player1 channels the first lazy deserter, player2 can click any other lazy deserter around the world and it will be teleported to player1 that started channeling.

I'm attaching a video with a very good description of how it works (time stamp 3m11s):

Why do I think the building/feature isn't fully useful with only 2 players? Well usually 2 players can make a team to play together in their small adventures, but with 3 players and up there's usually a chance for someone to be nearby a base where a lazy deserter is most of the time. That third player can teleport any other players around the map one after another if desired.

I play with my SO most of the time and the 2 of us are roaming around the map either together or separately, and the central hub where we have a lazy deserter, our base, barely gets used since there's no one to channel it.

Some people might say that 2 players would just need to focus on sincronizing more so that one player waits for the other one to get to the base and channels the lazy deserter to teleport him back, but I think the idea of making it as an on/off option would make the building less limiting with a 2 players team.

The game file for the Lazy Deserter is townportal.lua found in data\scripts\prefabs.

So basically I believe the way it works at the moment is like this:

1. OnStartChanneling, OnLinkTownPortals: a player right clicks the Lazy Deserter, linking all together for any possible teleporting.
  2. receives a sanity hit of -15 points
  3. and player keeps it channeled which can be seen from the building animation, while sanity drains at a fast speed
  4. OnStartTeleporting, OnExitingTeleporter: Now a player can right click any other Lazy Deserter and will get teleported to the player channeling
  5. OnStopChanneling: Once teleporation happens (or if player moves around beforehand) the channeling is stopped automatically.

The way I would think it for the mod:

1. OnStartChanneling,  OnLinkTownPortals : a player right clicks the Lazy Deserter, linking all together for any possible teleporting.
  2. receives a sanity hit of -XX points
  3. the player channeling animation does not take place but the Deserters are still "channeling" without him. Player does not have constant sanity drain
  4. OnStartTeleporting, OnExitingTeleporter: if any player right clicks any other lazy deserter around the world it will be teleported to the "initial" Lazy Deserter that was used to start the channeling process.
  5. OnStopChanneling: Once teleporation happens the channeling is stopped automatically.

Now this raises a question for me: does the teleporation currently happen to the "player" that is channeling, or to the "building" aka lazy deserter being channeled? This would mean that only one lazy deserter at any point can be channeled or "active", and right clicking any other will teleport to it, not to the player.

The OnStartChanneling function looks like this now:

local function OnStartChanneling(inst, channeler)
    inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("turn_on")
    inst.AnimState:PushAnimation("idle_on_loop")
    StartSoundLoop(inst)
    TheWorld:PushEvent("townportalactivated", inst)

inst.MiniMapEntity:SetIcon("townportalactive.png")
    inst.MiniMapEntity:SetPriority(20)

if inst.icon ~= nil then
        inst.icon.MiniMapEntity:SetIcon("townportalactive.png")
        inst.icon.MiniMapEntity:SetPriority(20)
        inst.icon.MiniMapEntity:SetDrawOverFogOfWar(true)
    end

inst.channeler = channeler.components.sanity ~= nil and channeler or nil
    if inst.channeler ~= nil then
        inst.channeler.components.sanity:DoDelta(-TUNING.SANITY_MED)
        inst.channeler.components.sanity.externalmodifiers:SetModifier(inst, -TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SUPERHUGE)
    end
end

but with the mod it would have inst.AnimState:PushAnimation("idle_on_loop") removed and the last part

inst.channeler = channeler.components.sanity ~= nil and channeler or nil
    if inst.channeler ~= nil then
        inst.channeler.components.sanity:DoDelta(-TUNING.SANITY_MED)
        inst.channeler.components.sanity.externalmodifiers:SetModifier(inst, -TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SUPERHUGE)
    end

removed as well (I think, though I might be reading it wrong). The idea is to have it turned "on" permanently until a player right clicks a second Lazy Deserter to get teleported.

Edited by t1morino88eex

Thank you very much for this explanation :)

I will try to summarize, to see if I understood:
At the moment it works this way:
You build somewhere this structure = lazy deserter.
A player can activate it, and can not move until someone teleported in, or he stops activation.
Meanwhile another player can teleport to him/the structure by hitting another structure OR by clicking a desert stone in his inventory?

This would also mean, you can't use this new feature while you are playing alone.

Your suggestion now is, that you can activate the structure, but you are not forced to stay there. So you can activate it and go discover the world. And then you can rightclick a desert stone/hit another structure to get teleported to the previous activated structure. So also one player could use it. Right?

What I did not get yet:
Can you only build a max of 2 lazy deserter? Or if one deserter is active, is activation of any other deserter impossible? I just wondered what if 2 or more deserters are activated and someone clicks a desert stone. But I guess you can't activate more than one deserter in the world?

With your suggestion this would also mean, after you activated the base deserter, you have to teleport to this one and can't activate another deserter if you changed your mind.
Do you know a solution for this problem?

edit:
- One solution would be, to be able to deactivate it from far.
- Another one would be, to be able to activate as many as you like and choose where you want to teleport, but I think this would be too overpowerd.
- I guess best solution would be to be able to "teleport" or "activate" the other deserter. If you chose acctivate, the previous active one is deactivated.

Edited by Serpens

34 minutes ago, Serpens said:

This would also mean, you can't use this new feature while you are playing alone.

Definetelly cannot at the moment as it needs at least 2 players to be used.

A player can activate it, and can not move until someone teleported in, or he stops activation.

Correct.

Meanwhile another player can teleport to him/the structure by hitting another structure OR by clicking a desert stone in his inventory?

First part yes, another player can teleport to the Lazy Deserter structure at which the first player is channeling. The desert stone cannot be used to teleport, it is only a material for the recipe of actual building.

Your suggestion now is, that you can activate the structure, but you are not forced to stay there. So you can activate it and go discover the world. And then you can rightclick a desert stone/hit another structure to get teleported to the previous activated structure. So also one player could use it. Right?

That is indeed the idea, to be able to activate one and mind about exploring, and now that you mention it the mod would make it usable for people playing alone in a world! :D

Can you only build a max of 2 lazy deserter?

A player can build as many lazy deserters as he wants in a world.

Or if one deserter is active, is activation of any other deserter impossible?

As it currently is by default in the game once a player right clicks and channels a lazy deserter the second player clicking any other lazy deserter in the world will get teleported automatically. With the mod something similar would happen, only one lazy deserter could be activated at any given time, because if a lazy deserter is activated clicking any other in the world will teleport the player there. So with the mod indeed, only 1 lazy deserter could be activated at any given time. At the same time it should be made in such a way that it can also be "deactivated" by clicking it again. As it is right now once a lazy deserter is channeled the animation plays for all the lazy deserters in the world, so with the mod in order to know which lazy deserter you have "activated" maybe that channeling animation could be played only on the activated one, so that you know which one to "deactivate" just in case.

Wit your suggestion this would also mean, after you activated the base deserter, you have to teleport to this one and can't activate another deserter if you changed your mind.
Do you know a solution for this problem?

Hmmm now this is the point which proves a bit more difficult to tackle. Because the way I thought it in the beginning changes the original mechanic quite a lot, and truth be told it might be useful to have it working the initial/original way as well at the same time. :cower: 

What if clicking a a Lazy Deserter wouldn't cause any action at first besides opening a small widget with 3 buttons (similar to the cooking pot Cook button):

• Button1: Channel
  • Button2: Activate/Deactivate
  • Button3: Teleport

If player presses button1 "Channel" it uses the lazy deserter as it's meant by default in the game, that is teleporting any player clicking a second lazy deserter to the player channeling.
If player presses button2 it will "Activate/Deactivate" the lazy deserter (depending on the lazy deserter state the corresponding button could appear, either Activate or Deactivate)
If player presses button3 "Teleport" it will get teleported to the one Activated lazy deserter in the world, whichever that might be as only 1 single lazy deserter can be Activated in the world at any given time.

But this would need 2 types of "channeling" functions, because there can be the situation in which lets say there are 3 lazy deserters in the world. LD1 is Activated so it has the channeling1 going (the one without the player assistance), but two players would like to use LD2 and LD3 to teleport to each other with the "Channel" button, in which case we want this to work properly and the first player to press the Channel button doesn't get teleported to LD1 that is "activated".

There is no point of using the "Channel" button on an already "Activated" lazy deserter as a player can just click any other secondary lazy deserter to get to the activated one.

I'm not sure how much this complicates it but it offers more options, by keeping the initial intended behaviour but also expanding the usability for solo players or a team of 2 players.

-edit-

One solution would be, to be able to deactivate it from far.
- Another one would be, to be able to activate as many as you like and choose where you want to teleport, but I think this would be too overpowerd.
- I guess best solution would be to be able to "teleport" or "activate" the other deserter. If you chose acctivate, the previous active one is deactivated.

As far as balancing goes this could be done by playing around the sanity threshold that hits the player. For the first solution I am not sure how the selecting would go, from the minimap? I do consider it rather overpowered as well no matter how it would, and if it could, be implemented.

Second solution is really elegant and I like it, similar to the widget with buttons I mentioned earlier.

Edited by t1morino88eex

4 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

First part yes, another player can teleport to the Lazy Deserter structure at which the first player is channeling. The desert stone cannot be used to teleport, it is only a material for the recipe of actual building.

ah okay, so the wiki is wrong =/
" The second person, right after, must either activate the Deserter on the other side, or right-click on a Desert Stone in their inventory. This will make this player teleport to the first player that started channeling. "

Your solution sounds good, but at the even if we would have 2 different codes and 2 different destinations stored in script (one for channeling and one for the new way), how can the player know if "teleport" now means he will teleport the new way or to the channel guy.
So we would need 2 teleport buttons. So a total of 4 buttons... I would prefer to have an easier solution... hm...

Oh I feel silly now, I actually had no idea one can use the desert stone like that. :shock: :D I am sorry for misguiding you. So it seems that the desert stone gets used after teleporting and the player gets quite a huge 50 sanity drain, which doesn't sound bad at all. Today I learned, and finally a good use of all those desert stones pilling in the chests.

Edited by t1morino88eex

I think it is better to remove the channeling completly. Cause with the solution you described we would end up with extremly complicated solution and you could choose at least 2 locations were to teleport.

I think it would be better to just have it this way:
Activate LD1. Now you can teleport to it and after you did it is deactivated again.
Or you can activate another LD, which will deactivate LD1.
This should be enough, since this can be used the same way as the channeling thing at the moment.

In addition to this we could add fuel to it. As long as it is activated, it consumes fuel. And if this runs out, it is deactivated.
When activated it could also have huge insanity aura.
These two things to make it a bit more difficult.

14 minutes ago, Serpens said:

Your solution sounds good, but at the even if we would have 2 different codes and 2 different destinations stored in script (one for channeling and one for the new way), how can the player know if "teleport" now means he will teleport the new way or to the channel guy.

It would still need just 3 buttons. One can use the teleport button to teleport only to an active lazy deserter. If one wants to get to another player "channeling" it can select the "Channel" button. I know there is a problem with containers currently and therefore I think widgets crashing the game without some workarounds as far as I heard so I see why it would be too cumbersome to do.

5 minutes ago, Serpens said:

Activate LD1. Now you can teleport to it and after you did it is deactivated again.
Or you can activate another LD, which will deactivate LD1.
This should be enough, since this can be used the same way as the channeling thing at the moment.

Now this sounds more than reasonable and achieves what I've been thinking from the beginning.

5 minutes ago, Serpens said:

In addition to this we could add fuel to it. As long as it is activated, it consumes fuel. And if this runs out, it is deactivated.
When activated it could also have huge insanity aura.
These two things to make it a bit more difficult.

So similar to a flingomatic, and as long as durability is as long as a flingo it sounds ok, otherwise I would go just for the insanity aura around it, quite a big one. And it would need to remember the fueling level, so that activating and deactivating it doesn't simply reset it. 

Edited by t1morino88eex

2 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

Now this sounds more than reasonable and achieves what I've been thinking from the beginning.

So similar to a flingomatic, and as long as durability is as long as a flingo it sounds ok, otherwise I would go just for the insanity aura around it, quite a big one.

great :)
I will see when I have time to begin with it. Maybe in a few hours.

Awesome! If there's any kind of help needed let me know, I'll gladly test things out and if you plan on ending with uploading it on the steam workshop I can help out with screenshots or descriptions if needed! ^^

Edited by t1morino88eex

Do you know anything in game or in any mod, that offers two actions? One with leftclick and one with rightclick?
The other LDs need teleport and activate action. But at the moment I don't know how to make both work at the same time... They are both rightclick at the moment.

I thought about almost every object in the game but I can't think of any that has 2 different actions, the ones who have a right click action might have a second one but only using another item on them (like shoveling chest signs).

Signposts have a right click action, so do the bundling wraps. Maybe meat effigies, gates.

I know of this mod which actually uses the third mouse button (mouse wheel): Gesture items

Maybe this mod might help with something: Teleportation scrolls.

All that is missing, is the two actions thing.

So let's assume there is no solution for that.
LD1 is actviated. The action there is "deactivate".
The action at any other LD is "teleport".
As soon as LD1 is deactivated, the action from all other LDs is changed to "activate".

So what we need now is something that deactivates LD1 while we are near another LD and not in range of LD1... but it should be very easy to do, to understand and to code .... hmm...

Edited by Serpens

I will try to implement:
If you give a desert stone to one of the other LDs, then LD1 is deactivated.

edit:
this could cause problems with fuel component... I will see what I can do...

Edited by Serpens

I upoloaded it here:
https://mega.nz/#!IkoxESRC!ScJqwcboZneTZelzUsKmniFSNK9EE8E3GMqBBmptzLc

It works like that now:
The LD uses same fuel like flingo and is full fueled after building (you can think about better configuration).
But you won't see how many fuel is left without a mod like "show me"... do you know a solution for that? I'm not able to code UI or something like that =/
edit:
we could change examination strings :) Do you have some good ones?

You can activate/deactivate it the same way like flingo with "turn on/off" action.
After activated it stays active, consuming fuel and has huge insanity aura.
Now you can use another LD or a desert stone, to teleport to it.
If you are at another LD, say LD2, and you want to activate LD2 instead of teleporting to LD1, you can give a desert stone to LD2. This will deactive LD1 and you can activate LD2.

I overwrite the townportal.lua, cause I think these changes would not be compatible to other mods (which changing LD) anyway.

So you can think about fuel stuff I wrote above.
Screenshots, modicon, description ... :)

I can of course also add you to the author list of the mod, if you wish :)

Edited by Serpens

Downloaded and tested it out and it works wonderful! (I tested it alone so far, will ask my partner most likely tomorrow to join a test server and check the mod out together before using it in our main world)

I am so happy with what you came up with, wonderful mod! Now for some points :D :

• I tested the mode thoroughly (I love testing things, which is why my daily job involves testing software :wilson_camera:) and encountered no crash so far!
  • Concerning fueling, I would be more than glad and would love to write quote strings for each character if it's possible to implement it that way! I am not sure how exactly the fueling level works for either the flingomatics or the one you implemented for the lazy deserters. Is it a point system, in which case the quote of the character upon examining it would give back a value? Or a percentage? Or some have 3 or 4 different quotes for each character depending on the fuel level: depleted, low, medium, full. I personally like numbers, and I think the player should be able to know as much of a precise value as possible, which the flingomatics already do visually with the fuel bar. So I downloaded the "Show me" mod and it seems to show percentages just as the flingomatic. I actually like the simple small percentage under the name when hovering over it, but maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to have to download the Show Me and depend on it to show the fuel level. Would it be possible to have the percentage option from the Show Me mod only on the Lazy Deserters automatically under their name in the mod you made? If not the characters could also reveal the percentage upon inspection maybe, for starters just the percentage number displayed as a quote.

Things that might need some attention:

• While a LD is active, hitting it, or any other LDs around the world, with a hammer will deactivate it. This way one can use 4 hammer hits instead of desert stones for deactivation, and simply rebuild the tower afterwards since it's cheap as you only lose one cutstone from the materials after destroying the structure.
  • If you activate a LD then any desert stone from the ground will start to animate as if it would still be the top component of a LD structure, and so will the inventory icon of the desert stones in the inventory. Screenshots: deactivated & activated. Really awesome effect nevertheless!
  • I believe the sanity drain range for an Activated LD is too big, and I know I actually recommended it this way initially. I don't mind the speed of the sanity drain when really close to it but this can be exploited for almost instant sanity gain by staying close to it with the bee queen hat equipped. :) Since they have a fueling component now as the flingomatics and you get a -50 sanity hit when teleporting my suggestion would be to either lower the sanity aura both in range and drain, or remove it completely due to the exploit. Or have the fueling component as an option and keep a medium sanity drain aura range and level on all LD when at least one is active. Or maybe remove the sanity aura completely but have it so that activating any lazy deserter gets the player with a fixed -40 sanity points sanity hit. Or maybe there's a possibility for the bequeen hat effect to be an exception from the LDs sanity drain, but that would feel like breaking out of the lore of the game and sanity mechanic. In case the fueling mechanic is disabled but activating a LD takes the -40 sanity points hit once a player teleports to the activated LD then the lazy deserter should deactivate automatically (which right now it doesn't, it stays active after teleporting to one).
  • Since one needs to use desert stones to deactivate any activated LD in the world maybe it would be a good idea to remove the option to teleport by right clicking a desert stone in your inventory? Now with the removal of the channeling and being able to have a LD active at all time it sounds a bit too good and overpowered. Or maybe this option can be toggled from a mod setting screen, which I'll refer to a bit lower ahead.
  • Is it possible to change the channeling sound volume for activated lazy deserters? Since people almost certainly have one in their base it can cover a lot of the normal game sounds, and during testing it kind off ended bothering me. Is it possible to change the range at which the sound is heard? I noticed that as you move away from the structure the sound dims, maybe it could dim out sooner and the channeling sound be heard only when really close to the LDs?

I wouldn't make it a priority but any chance that a settings screen for the mod could be included? With some basic options that could make it more customizable for other players, such as turning the fueling component of LD on/off, sanity drain aura level (none/low/medium/high), turning channeling sound on/off or enable/disable possibility to teleport with desert stone would be some examples.

In any case if I were to choose between:

1. a Lazy Deserter that needs fueling and that is kept active after teleporting
  2. no fueling Lazy Deserters, deactivate it after teleporting, but take a fix sanity hit everytime one is activated

I would personally go for the second system. ^^

I am really really thankful for the mod you did @Serpens!

Edited by t1morino88eex

Tired right now, but short answer:
Yes, of course I can add any possible setting, so everyone can get what they want :)

Sound:
Unfortunately I have no knowledge about sound volume and don't think it is even possible to change volume... All I could do is only play sound during activation and after x seconds stop the sound completly.

Percentages fuel:
Yes showing the percentage when inspecting was also an idea I had :) Or instead "remaining days" it can run. Should be possible to code.

The levitation of Desert stones is ok, right? Because you wrote that point under "needs attention". Should I change something with them?'

edit:
What would be good for fuel kind? nightmare fuel? Living logs? Desert stones? Or keep the flingo stuff?
And what could a good mod name ? "Custom Lazy Deserter" ?

Edited by Serpens

17 hours ago, Serpens said:

Unfortunately I have no knowledge about sound volume and don't think it is even possible to change volume... All I could do is only play sound during activation and after x seconds stop the sound completly.

This would be more than good! ^^ The sound could stop after 5 seconds let's say by default.

The levitation of Desert stones is ok, right? Because you wrote that point under "needs attention". Should I change something with them?'

My mistake, I thought the desert stone levitating was a bug but that's their normal behavior in-game it seems without the mod as well, please disregard that point. :)

What would be good for fuel kind? nightmare fuel? Living logs? Desert stones? Or keep the flingo stuff?
And what could a good mod name ? "Custom Lazy Deserter" ?

I think the most fitting would be to only be able to use nightmare fuel to fuel the LD. It can have the same fuel value as the Glommer Goop (glommerfuel), which refills a flingomatic for around 37% each.

As for the mod name, how does "Improved Lazy Deserter" sound like? It think it's simple and fitting.

Yes showing the percentage when inspecting was also an idea I had :) Or instead "remaining days" it can run. Should be possible to code.

Remainig days sounds nice yet with the percetanges I find it better since I would be able to know how many nightmare fuel I should use on it to fuel it as efficient as possible.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:16 PM, Serpens said:

Screenshots, modicon, description ... :)

Will start working on these as soon as we have a somewhat final version of the mod so that I know exactly what information the description should contain. Let me know what resolution the modicon should have. I see it is currently in .tex file.

Edited by t1morino88eex

So I think this could be the final release. Please test, if you find any bugs/problems :)

What I did:
Added "onload" so if on/off is loaded probably.
Added all the options+fixes we discussed above.

I think the fuel value you get is okay (percentage depends on your max fuel setting). One nightmarefuel lasts for ~5 ingame hours. I could add a setting for this too.

LazyDeserter.zip

Edited by Serpens

Added fuelvalue as modsetting. Range from ~1 ingame hour per nightmarefuel to 18 ingame hours per nightmarefuel.

Added string
"I can give it a Desert Stone to deactivate all Lazy Deserters"
if player tries to give LD anyhting tradable except a desert stone.

Unfortunately it is not possible to give player a fixed snaity drain when activate the LD, because the "onturnon" function does not include the player. I could only search for players in range and give all of them a drain, but this would be the same like insanity aura.
I could add big insanity aura for 1 second to achieve this, but this is not a very clean solution. Also deactivation after succesful teleport is not clean, cause I only have access to "onactivate" (so before the teleport) and can only add a function that will deactivate it in x seconds after activation. And who knows what happens, when more then one player is trying to teleport, while it gets deactivated..

So all in all I decided to not implement fixed sanity drain and no deactivation after teleport, cause it is not worth the hassle.

I think know we only need screenshots and description and we can upload it :)

Are you able to create "gif" animations? That would be cool :)

LazyDeserter.zip

Edited by Serpens