Nova-Tepidizer

So, I have been minding my business, building some stuff on my map and then I have noticed, that some of my dupes were boiling! The dude named Trav was trapped for some time, made a mess, and this mess just exploded my tepidizer! This thing heated up surroundings up to 1000 Celcius! Do you want to melt your base to the ground? Well, now you sure can20170413204637_1.jpg

8 minutes ago, MousesDonkey said:

Mind if I ask, what were you using it for there in the first place? Just wondering because I can't think of a reason its right above your beds, but I am still a bit of a noob so there is probably a reason smarter gamers would see.

What a ridiculous question. Does every 3 cycle dupe printing is not enough reason to evaporate them all?

By the way what temperature tepidizer at?

1 hour ago, MousesDonkey said:

Mind if I ask, what were you using it for there in the first place? Just wondering because I can't think of a reason its right above your beds, but I am still a bit of a noob so there is probably a reason smarter gamers would see.

Well, that's a setup for boiling up polluted water from my bathroom. Since it becomes a regular steam (it hasn't been changed, right?) my polluted water can turned into regular water and then get reused for smth else.

If the tepidizer has liquid dripped over it, or has a thin layer (not a full tile) worth of liquid on it, it'll continue to heat up to incredible temperatures. It won't stop at it's normal maximum temperature of 75 degrees. Definitely a bug, and can be potentially dangerous if it's not intentional. :p

I was playing with this little bug last night. Mine got up to over 1800 degrees at one point.

I had it working real well as a steamer for a while but I tried to improve it so that dupes didn't get boiled going to fix it and I broke it and couldn't get it working again.

1800 degrees.jpg

I think this is an imperfection in the game's thermodymnamics, seeing as how time for heat exchange is determined by mass of objects high quantity/mass chunks take much longer to exchange heat and very small amounts change very rapidly.  I'm sure this will get worked out as development goes on, there's so much more things to added and addressed that we aren't seeing.

I hope the game becomes one where thermodynamics is as realistic as possible in the aspect of how heat is exchanged and displaced, keeping in mind it will contain things like wheezeworts.

I also hope the developer factors in ground temperature regulation as in real life the temperature underground is extremely stable and regulated.  Would be nice to see a natural heat sink by the surrounding untouched areas of the map.

42 minutes ago, Kermack said:

I think this is an imperfection in the game's thermodymnamics, seeing as how time for heat exchange is determined by mass of objects high quantity/mass chunks take much longer to exchange heat and very small amounts change very rapidly.

There's major limitation in this game's physics. Everything is one tile big. 

Imagine you have a hot stove and you put a pot full of water on it - it will take a long time for the water to heat up. Now put the same pot on the stove but with just a bit of water. It will get boiling rather fast. That's why small amounts need short time to heat up. That is actually fine as you need the same time to get given amount of water boiling regardless whether you heat it up all at once or by small amounts.

The problem with tepidizer probably is, the game calculates heat transfer between the tepidizer and water (at given temperatures of both) but if the amount of the water is sufficiently small the heat transferred in single step pushes the water temperature way higher than what was the temperature of the tepidizer. The physics engine needs to add one additional check to heat transfer, if the receiver's resulting temperature exceeds temperature of the donor, it is clipped at that temperature and the heat transfer is limited by that.

34 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Imagine you have a hot stove and you put a pot full of water on it - it will take a long time for the water to heat up.

Well it would take a relatively long time to heat the entire body of water, but the the portion closer to the source of heat would increase much more rapidly.  Take for instance in the game a large chunk of snow or ice will take a long time to melt, but it doesn't melt gradually so transporting ice/snow that has been put into containers tends to be rendered useless unless you have a massive source of heat to compensate(lava) for the games current handling of thermal exchange.  If they maintain the current system then perhaps they will implement a way to "divide the stacks" to get around this.

Essentially you should be able to drop a load of ice in a body of water and it melts as heat begins to equalize in the body of water and the water loses heat naturally to the atmosphere.  Currently that chunk of ice depending on how big will stay frozen for 100s of cycles, I've haven't experimented to see just how long it will take but according to others the ice would only drop a degree or 2 after 50 cycles.

Ultimately I'm sure it's just that the devs haven't implemented every mechanic regarding thermodynamics.  I have faith it will make more sense in later versions.

Part of the reason for this is that the tepidizer checks it's conditions in 5 second intervals from the time it was turned on.  This means there is 5 seconds of uninterrupted running, even if there is no longer any water nearby.  It seems to be much easier to heat the surrounding air than the liquid it's been calibrated for, hense the insane air temperature.

Another fun exploit of this 5 second rule: attach a tepidizer to a thermal switch, so that you can toggle power on and off (by toggling greater than / less than of a high temperature) without waiting on a dup to pull a traditional switches lever.  Turn it on, wait 3 to 4 seconds, turn it off, wait a second, and repeat.  This way, you repeatedly trip the tepidizer into producing heat, but never let it run long enough to check if it should be.

When done right, this produces enough heat in a small enclosed area to turn gold algam ore into gold steam.  Pop it open and watch liquid gold rain around your base.

The reason you need to toggle it before the 5 second check, is that when it determines it should be off, it will enter a timeout state where it won't turn back on for a while.

5 minutes ago, Kermack said:

Take for instance in the game a large chunk of snow or ice will take a long time to melt, but it doesn't melt gradually

That's actually different deficiency of the game's physics engine - there's no state change heat. In real world it takes a lot of energy to turn ice at 0 C to water at 0 C, or water at 100 C to steam at 100 C. That's why these changes are gradual. In ONI, you bring the material somewhere around the state change temperature and plop - whole tile suddenly changes state.

Archived