Priority Improvement

A simple suggestion, which I am not sure has been made before : enable numeric keypad during priority mode.

So you can press "P" then "7" then click on the thing you want priority seven to be.

At the moment, you press "P", then click on the 7 button in the bottom right, then click on the thing you want priority seven to be.

Also, the number keys (top row) currently select the main build items section. This is fine, keep that. Just enable the numeric keypad. Or not - I think when in priority mode all the numbers should be for priority. What do y'all think?

With cleared cursor the first number should be section, second selecting the building, third the material, ^ (or not selecting at all) keeps the level as it was last selection, RMB clears cursor. Default build priority should be set by P <number key or click on icon> without painting in the world before RMB.

For priority setting, this keypad number would be fine.

For construction and other tasks, I'd prefer if there was a global priority setting which you can adjust e.g. with keypad +/- and whatever you set up for building is set up with this priority. You go to build a new part of the base, you select priority 7, and digging, tiles, pipes, wires, buildings, everything is set with priority 7 until you change it. Selecting priority for each piece separately whenever you switch is annoying.

This global setting could apply to tasks that don't have a priority setting right now, e.g. when selecting Sweep or Deconstruct directly from the window of the item.

23 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

Numeric keypad is to far away from the default left hand position, IMHO. Also quite some machines don't have one these days.

That's what configuration and key assignment are for.

Numpad has a lot of free to use keys on it, and giving them functions already available through mouse does not make things worse. Besides, numpad is pretty close to the mouse if you're right-handed and it's more comfortable to reach for it than for keys around Enter.

Even when I buy a notebook, I make sure it has a numpad on its keyboard. I use it all the time, even entering expressions to the calculator or to a spreadsheet is easier though it than using normal keys.

Archived