Water:-1000.0 g/s

Carbon Dioxide: -300.0 g/s

Power: 120.0 W

Liquid Intake Pipe

Liquid Output Pipe

Polluted Water: + 1000.0 g/s

Carbon Dioxide: -100.0 g/s

Heat: +5.0 W

An Algae Terrarium with light shining on it has a 10% boost of effectiveness which increase the rate to 44g/s of oxygen and -0.3663g/s of carbon dioxide.

Let do a comparison of using an Electrolyzer and Air scrubber together vs. an Algae Terrarium with 2kg of water.

With 2kg of water, I will split the water by half for the Electrolyzer and Air Scrubber

The total effect produce by Electrolyzer and Air Scrubber with 1kg of water each.

• Oxygen: 888g

• Carbon Dioxide: -400g (required -300g, effect -100g)

• Hydrogen: 112g

• Polluted Water: 1000g

• Heat: 11.3W

If we also include the power consumption and heat generated for all the things needed to setup:

• Power: 840W = (240W + 240W +120W +120W +120W)[Liquid Pump, Gas Pump, Gas Filter, Electrolyzer, Air Scrubber]

• Heat: 52.6W = (10 + 6.3 + 5 + 20 + 5 + 6.3)[Liquid Pump, Electrolyzer, Air Scrubber, Hydrogen Generator(800W), Manual Generator(400W), Battery]

The total effect produce by Algae Terrarium with floor lamp (Power: 5W, Heat: 2.5W):

• Oxygen: 293.33g = (44g oxygen required * 2000g water / 300g of water required)

• Carbon Dioxide: -2.442g = (-0.3663g carbon dioxide * 2000g water / 300g of water required)

• Heat: 2.5W

In conclusion, even without algae requirement and only using water, the Electrolyzer and Air scrubber are so much more effective than an Algae Terrarium at producing oxygen and consuming carbon dioxide only at the cost of heat management. With the amount of time required to fill up the Algae Terrarium with resource, the duplicant could have generate even more power for the machines required.

In this case, using an Algae Deoxidizer in the early game and rushing research would be much better than wasting time building a Algae Terrarium Farm and precious water on it.

Yeah I learned that the hard way by trying an only terrarium run for my oxygen, was using massive amounts of water and the dupes would get stuck in a constant loop of refilling with 1000g, I find 3 electrolysers and maybe 6 terrariums is a good balance for me.

Depending on your base layout, a few terrariums can be nice in corners of your base, mainly when you are just getting settled in. But that is more for removing CO2 with O2 as an incidental benefit. Using a lot of them is just not viable at all.

On 2017/4/7 at 3:00 AM, DavidGrim said:

In this case, using an Algae Deoxidizer in the early game and rushing research would be much better than wasting time building a Algae Terrarium Farm and precious water on it.

Nope, Algae Deoxidizer cost 2X the algea to produce O2 as the Terrarium , while algea is quite limited in the birth area

Terrarium doesn't have max presure limit, too. and we have unlimited water so water cost isn't something important

4 hours ago, alcurad90 said:

Nope, Algae Deoxidizer cost 2X the algea to produce O2 as the Terrarium , while algea is quite limited in the birth area

Terrarium doesn't have max presure limit, too. and we have unlimited water so water cost isn't something important

Algae Deoxidizer cost x2 more algae than Algae Terrarium to produce O2, but Algae Terrarium cost more time to manage than Algae Deoxidizer to get the same result. To produce the same amount of O2, you will need to build 13-14 Algae Terrarium with lighting. And the cost of that is seeing your duplicant running around getting water and algae to deliver to all 13-14 Algae Terrarium which I am sure I could have use that manpower in other area in the early stage of the game.

Although algae are limited, they are also not important in late game as it stands. Once you have build a good infrastructure with well airflow, all you need is Electorlyzer to provide oxygen. Algae will only be use to provide for the Algae Deoxidizer as a backup oxygen generator.

About unlimited water, yeah I totally forgotten about Geyser. Water is no longer as precious as it once was which is shame. I kind of like it when I have to be careful on how I spend my resource.

Edit: As for the max pressure limit is not really a concern with gas pump running.

13 minutes ago, DavidGrim said:

Algae Deoxidizer cost x2 more algae than Algae Terrarium to produce O2, but Algae Terrarium cost more time to manage than Algae Deoxidizer to get the same result. To produce the same amount of O2, you will need to build 13-14 Algae Terrarium with lighting. And the cost of that is seeing your duplicant running around getting water and algae to deliver to all 13-14 Algae Terrarium which I am sure I could have use that manpower is other area in the early stage of the game.

Although algae are limited, they are also not important in late game as it stands. Once you have build a good infrastructure with well airflow, all you need is Electorlyzer to provide oxygen. Algae will only be use to provide for the Algae Deoxidizer as a backup oxygen generator.

About unlimited water, yeah I totally forgotten about Geyser. Water is no longer as precious as it once was which is shame. I kind of like it when I have to be careful on how I spend my resource.

Terrarium can absorb water by itself so what you need is a liquid piping system, not so hard as you also need water to cool down your super computer and battery.

There are only 3000-4000kg algae in the birth area, which can last for round 20-30 cycles if you use Deoxidizer . Not everyone want to open Electorlyzer in 40 cycles since you still need some structure to deal with the H2. While with the Terrarium you can have a safe time for round 40-60 cycles before you run out of algae.

In addition, Terrarium produce no heat, while the O2 from Deoxidizer is quite hot, round 24-28C.It's a real problem

捕获.JPG

16 minutes ago, alcurad90 said:

Terrarium can absorb water by itself so what you need is a liquid piping system, not so hard as you also need water to cool down your super computer and battery.

There are only 3000-4000kg algae in the birth area, which can last for round 20-30 cycles if you use Deoxidizer . Not everyone want to open Electorlyzer in 40 cycles since you still need some structure to deal with the H2. While with the Terrarium you can have a safe time for round 40-60 cycles before you run out of algae.

In addition, Terrarium produce no heat, while the O2 from Deoxidizer is quite hot, round 24-28C.It's a real problem

捕获.JPG

Building an Algae Terrarium farm and piping takes time, managing them takes time  I am buying time here, rushing research. I have completed all my research by cycle 20. By the time I finish building my Electorlyzer, I already have a coal generator long ago which mean I also have a Hydrogen generator ready to handle the H2. By the time my Deoxidizer ran out of algae I have already move on to my next project. As for my super computer and my battery, I have just dump them in a cold biome, set it and forgotten about it.

13 hours ago, DavidGrim said:

Building an Algae Terrarium farm and piping takes time, managing them takes time  I am buying time here, rushing research. I have completed all my research by cycle 20. By the time I finish building my Electorlyzer, I already have a coal generator long ago which mean I also have a Hydrogen generator ready to handle the H2. By the time my Deoxidizer ran out of algae I have already move on to my next project. As for my super computer and my battery, I have just dump them in a cold biome, set it and forgotten about it.

Everyone can complete all the research in 20 cycles, that's easy, but you need a roof to collect H2 and some digging and building task for a better colony..

The liquid piping system can be used to cool down the super computer and later change to support the Electorlyzer, it won't be useless

I used to hate the Terrarium as you, but once you used it, you will like it.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, alcurad90 said:

Everyone can complete all the research in 20 cycles, that's easy, but you need a roof to collect H2 and some digging and building task for a better colony..

The liquid piping system can be used to cool down the super computer and later change to support the Electorlyzer, it won't be useless

I used to hate the Terrarium as you, but once you used it, you will like it.

Yeah, I already have a roof to collect H2 before I start-up my Electrolyzer and also allocating job role more efficiently to speed up process.

Building super computer in ice biome is much faster. I only build my liquid piping system when I am almost done with my Electrolyzer research as I have other more priority job to complete first, like airlock plantation, engine room with coal generator and bed room with decor.

Even let said the liquid piping system is complete. Which is faster? Filing up 1 Deoxidizer with algae or 13 Terrarium with algae. Currently the duplicant is really dumb in queuing up their priority jobs, they could go fill up 1 Terrarium then run across the map to do something else then come back and fill up 1 more. Imagine their job queue, from start to the end, you will see their only job is to constantly filling them up with algae.

Edit: Sorry if I sound too agitated in my previous post, just don't really like to repeat my same point on the topic.

On 2017/4/10 at 7:26 PM, DavidGrim said:

Yeah, I already have a roof to collect H2 before I start-up my Electrolyzer and also allocating job role more efficiently to speed up process.

Building super computer in ice biome is much faster. I only build my liquid piping system when I am almost done with my Electrolyzer research as I have other more priority job to complete first, like airlock plantation, engine room with coal generator and bed room with decor.

Even let said the liquid piping system is complete. Which is faster? Filing up 1 Deoxidizer with algae or 13 Terrarium with algae. Currently the duplicant is really dumb in queuing up their priority jobs, they could go fill up 1 Terrarium then run across the map to do something else then come back and fill up 1 more. Imagine their job queue, from start to the end, you will see their only job is to constantly filling them up with algae.

Edit: Sorry if I sound too agitated in my previous post, just don't really like to repeat my same point on the topic.

You can just set the priority  to 7 so the dupes will fill the Terrarium with algae and the set the priority  to 3

Since Terrarium use less algea, dupes cost less time to fill them then the Deoxidizer

The electrolyzer is nowhere near as efficient as you listed in your table.  It runs into max pressure issues a lot more frequently than you think.  This guy did an actual test to see how efficient it was, and he only got up to around 400 g/s for an electrolyzer.  However, this is using 6 gas pumps to ferry the oxygen away from the electrolyzer.  That's 1.56 kW of power needed to run the entire setup (6x gas pump + electrolyzer).  In an open air test (no gas pumps, just exposed to base), the maximum efficiency of the electrolyzer was 300 g/s, going down to 180 g/s after 6 days of running.  Taking into account that you need practically one circuit's worth of energy to run a single electrolyzer at its maximum efficiency, it isn't practical to be running a 6 pump setup.  He did another test in a subsequent video that showed that open air electrolyzer setups have the greatest power efficiency (231 g/s per electrolyzer @ 0.5 W/g of oxygen produced).  You can also go with a 4 pump setup (249 g/s per electrolyzer @ 2.4 W/g of oxygen produced).  Algae Terrariums are still good for early game.  You need a lot of time to create the infrastructure needed to run an electrolyzer setup.  Later on, they become obsolete as you run out of Algae.

I started going heavy with terriums. Thinking the better algae efficiency and co2 absorption would make it better than oxidizers for general base oxygen management.

God damn the water usage killed me. The second I finished getting a dedicated water source for them, they would be halfway through the water and Id have to go dig another. I eventually found a geyser, but **** had hit the fan by then.    

I think terrariums are best for temporarily oxygenating mine shafts that arent worth having a pipe for.

I don't mind algae terrariums as an early game tech.  Honestly, I think that the time required to acquire and implement early game tech should be reduced, since right now the game transitions to "late game" too quickly.  I think it would be cool if you could build algae terrariums as your temporary oxygen source early on, and then later if you could "upgrade" them into aquariums that also house fish (or maybe pufts?)  These aquariums could possibly provide decor in addition to housing the wildlife.

Archived