Only allow one character to eat a certain food

I'm trying to make a pig character have the ability to eat Pig Skin. Lets say his name is Wheathghthoughougue.

AddPrefabPostInit ("pigskin", function (inst)
    inst.components.edible.foodtype = GLOBAL.FOODTYPE.MEAT
    inst.components.edible.healthvalue = 2
    inst.components.edible.sanityvalue = 4
	inst.components.edible.hungervalue = 4
end)

However, now all characters can eat Pig Skin. If I assign the Pig Skin its own food type, then it no longer uses the long eating animation. The reason for this is because only FOODTYPE.MEAT items use the long eating animation while all other food use the quick eating animation.

I want only one character, Wheathghthoughougue, to have the ability to eat Pig Skin. But at the same time, I want Pig Skin to have the long eating animation.

3 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

I'm trying to make a pig character have the ability to eat Pig Skin. Lets say his name is Wheathghthoughougue.

AddPrefabPostInit ("pigskin", function (inst)
    inst.components.edible.foodtype = GLOBAL.FOODTYPE.MEAT
    inst.components.edible.healthvalue = 2
    inst.components.edible.sanityvalue = 4
	inst.components.edible.hungervalue = 4
end)

However, now all characters can eat Pig Skin. If I assign the Pig Skin its own food type, then it no longer uses the long eating animation. The reason for this is because only FOODTYPE.MEAT items use the long eating animation while all other food use the quick eating animation.

I want only one character, Wheathghthoughougue, to have the ability to eat Pig Skin. But at the same time, I want Pig Skin to have the long eating animation.

don't know it right out of the box, but maybe just take a look at other mods that sets diet ?
They will modify the eat function for a specific player with maybe "not HasTag("meat")" or similar. And instead of forbidding meat, you can just allow/forbid pigskin this way.

Just now, Serpens said:

don't know it right out of the box, but maybe just take a look at other mods that sets diet ?
They will modify the eat function for a specific player with maybe "not HasTag("meat")" or similar. And instead of forbidding meat, you can just allow/forbid pigskin this way.

Most other mods that changes a character's diet use the FOODTYPE/FOODGROUP method. What I'm looking is preventing other characters from eating Pig Skin or only allowing one character to eat Pig Skin while retaining Pig Skin as FOODTYPE.MEAT.

I did a quick search and I meant sth like this in your modmain:

AddComponentPostInit("eater", function(self)
	local _TestFood = self.TestFood
	self.TestFood = function(self, food, testvalues)
        if self.inst:HasTag("player") and food and food.prefab=="pigksin" then -- fordbid every player to eat pigksin
            return false
        else
            return _TestFood(self, food, testvalues) -- if it is not pigskin, return the old function
        end
	end
end)

This will forbid every player character to eat pigskin.

Edited by Serpens

3 minutes ago, Serpens said:

I did a quick search and I meant sth like this in your modmain:

AddComponentPostInit("eater", function(self)
	local _TestFood = self.TestFood
	self.TestFood = function(self, food, testvalues)
        if self.inst:HasTag("player") and food.prefab=="pigksin" then -- fordbid every player to eat pigksin
            return false
        else
            return _TestFood(self, food, testvalues) -- if it is not pigskin, return the old function
        end
	end
end)

This will forbid every player character to eat pigskin.

Ah, so I just have to check if it's my character,  Wheathghthoughougue, who is trying to eat the Pig Skin. Like 'if self.prefab = "wheathghthoughougue" then'. I'll try this.

Edited by JohnWatson

4 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

Ah, so I just have to check if it's my character,  Wheathghthoughougue, who is trying to eat the Pig Skin. Like 'if self.prefab = "wheathghthoughougue" then'. I'll try this.

yes. "self.inst" is the instance that is eating. So the line could be:
if self.inst:HasTag("player") and food.prefab=="pigksin" and not self.inst.prefab=="wheathghthoughougue" then

2 minutes ago, Serpens said:

yes. "self.inst" is the instance that is eating. So the line could be:
if self.inst:HasTag("player") and food.prefab=="pigksin" and not self.inst.prefab=="wheathghthoughougue" then

Exactly what I used, and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot, mate! I appreciate the help.

Alright, now my problem is that other characters get an option to Eat the Pig Skin. They would perform the disgusted animation, though.

However, I want other characters to not have an option to Eat the Pig Skin. I want them to be only able to inspect it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a workaround and got what I wanted.

Edited by JohnWatson
Nevermind, I found a workaround and got what I wanted.

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

Alright, now my problem is that other characters get an option to Eat the Pig Skin. They would perform the disgusted animation, though.

However, I want other characters to not have an option to Eat the Pig Skin. I want them to be only able to inspect it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a workaround and got what I wanted.

Can you tell us your workaround ? :)