An Idea for the Printing Pod

This this has been discussed on the OnI Discord so most credit goes to there.

But there was the idea that the Printing Pod instead of just spitting out a dupe after X amount of time instead should do so after we fed it enought suitable material to do so.

The idea being that instead of us having to wait we would need to solve the logistical way of aquiring new dupes instead by seeking for the materials to make new ones. It would also help more early on by making it so people don't expand to much with new dupes thus leading to a slower grow for the newer players (what I mean is a lot of people seem to expand to much on dupes to early leading to problems maintaning the colony).

2 hours ago, mr_anderson said:

Getting some Full Metal Alchemist vibes here.

I love the idea of there being a 3D printer that prints living people. I like to blame the negative traits on "person jams". Maybe that could be an idea? We can spend even more resources than normal to increase the chances of good traits over bad? Like upgrading the printer?

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

But there was the idea that the Printing Pod instead of just spitting out a dupe after X amount of time instead should do so after we fed it enought suitable material to do so.

The idea being that instead of us having to wait we would need to solve the logistical way of aquiring new dupes instead by seeking for the materials to make new ones. It would also help more early on by making it so people don't expand to much with new dupes thus leading to a slower grow for the newer players (what I mean is a lot of people seem to expand to much on dupes to early leading to problems maintaning the colony).

The simple idea of that is so disturbing and amazing at the same time.

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Haha this thought literally just occurred to me on the marriage and children thread in the general discussion. Then i remembered something i saw someone post when i was just a lurker here. That at one point they were thinking about making it so that you can't pick when to have a new dupe spawned and that it will print them constantly. I liked this idea because it was a good driving force for the entire game. Whether or not this is still the plan i don't know. I agree with both of these ideas, it's just they go in opposite directions. adding onto the printer needing resources it'd be cool if there were variant life forms you could print but that required more rare resources.

On 3/14/2017 at 2:16 PM, mr_anderson said:

This... I hope the devs see this. I say that too much lol

On 3/14/2017 at 4:49 PM, Joshu145 said:

I liked this idea because it was a good driving force for the entire game. Whether or not this is still the plan i don't know.

Maybe there could be alternate modes?

Somehow, I don't think the mods will show consideration for my proposals much considering how they comment on this, and not mine.

Anyhow, It's an ok idea, but I would decline this notion on the grounds that there's enough strategy as is. We don't want to rely on education to dictate this game mechanics - we want the action for the game. So, I am against this.

Well, the other option is to go by what the game says the dupes are made of: 30 kg of Ooze. Ooze is basically the main component for all living things. As it is now, it would need 30 Meal lice (1 kg each) to make one duplicant that way. A living Hatch has 400 kg, that would mean 13 duplicants and some ooze left. It would probably require you to melt it though (9726.9°C) and feed it into the printer with a pipe or turn it into Ooze-ingots or something alike. Would at least be interesting to see as a kind of "hardcore" mode. Right now there seems to be no material to withstand those temperatures though.

Archived