Getting attacker to apply damage to?

Trying to set it up so that the damage that Bernie gets from shadow creatures is also applied to shadow creatures themselves. And, subsequently so that they would also teleport within a radius of Bernie upon attacking him, just like they do when a player attacks them.

I've looked through many OnBlocked functions, from scalemail, to cactus picking to even single player's SW cactus armor damage, but NOTHING works! This is my final code that I've come down to:

local function OnAttacked(inst, data)
    if data.attacker ~= nil and data.attacker.components.combat and data.attacker:HasTag("shadow") then
        data.attacker.components.combat:GetAttacked(inst, data.attacker.components.damage)
        --data.attacker.components.health:DoDelta(data.attacker.components.damage)
        data.attacker.components.combat:SetTarget(data.attacker)
        data.attacker.components.combat:ShareTarget(data.attacker, 30, ShareTargetFn, 1)
    end
end

And it doesn't work. Does anybody have any idea as to why and how I could fix it? Mind you, I'm still using that "make a copy of an original file into the mod and edit it" strat, so this code is placed within berniebrain.lua.

FIXED:

1) Had to put the code in bernie_active.lua and not berniebrain.lua

2) Had to add this listener in fn() function:

inst:ListenForEvent("attacked", OnAttacked)

3) Had to add negative "data.damage" or " data.attacker.components.combat.defaultdamage
" instead of data.attacker,components.damage