Order Dupe to do specific thing

sometime those duplicant are too stupid to restock my coal generator and then suffocate to death because there not enough energy to power the system...

I even set priority on generator to 9 and have coal in storage next to it but no one decide to just go and grab that coal.

it would be nice if we can order our dupe to do certain thing without having to wait for them to do it

Yeah. This is one of the things that bugs me the most. Sometimes i want a specific Dupe to do something, just real quick and then they can return to their normal job. But in order to do that, I need to set them as the only one that will do that job, and then raise the priority of that thing to 9.

The obvious annoyance with this is that I have to take everyone else off of the job that they need to be set to in order to do that kind of job. A lot of the time, I just want them to build a thing; cool, they start by digging the ground away. But THEN, they walk away and another Dupe from across the base comes running over, just to do the thing the first Dupe could have done RIGHT after digging out the spot. And the funny thing is, in some cases, the second Dupe might have just now been digging then ran over to make the thing, and the first Dupe goes over to the area the other Dupe was, and starts digging. They basically just swapped jobs with the cost of the time wasted to go across the base.

1 hour ago, Oatmeal said:

A lot of the time, I just want them to build a thing; cool, they start by digging the ground away. But THEN, they walk away and another Dupe from across the base comes running over, just to do the thing the first Dupe could have done RIGHT after digging out the spot. And the funny thing is, in some cases, the second Dupe might have just now been digging then ran over to make the thing, and the first Dupe goes over to the area the other Dupe was, and starts digging. They basically just swapped jobs with the cost of the time wasted to go across the base.

Yeah, there should be a priority assignment, be it auto or manual, that selects dupes for a job, and only that dupe. Job Swapping is one of the biggest annoyances I, and a lot of people seem to, have.

I feel like there should be a built in mechanic that assigns dupes to specific tasks, based on skill, priority and PROXIMITY. This would eliminate dupes crossing the entire colony to do one simple task. The only exception I can see would be if a more skilled dupe (higher lvl) was just a little farther than away from a job, and lower lvl dupes were closer, it would prioritize based on the skill level.

If this system were manual, I could see it getting incredibly complicated, however, if it was simply a background mechanic that worked automatically (but could be toggled), it would make things a lot easier.

Archived