Gas flow feels extremely slow

I've noticed that the tile dispersion rates of gases is very low, I'm not sure if it's caused because of having multiple gases. My instance was from having a room full of both oxygen and contaminated oxygen, which was refusing to fill the room below it (4 tile wide hole) which had a fifth of the pressure (2000g to 400g).

Additionally, gases seem to not want to compress when next to another gas that is a higher pressure. I tend to find that I get a lot of 30g or so CO2 tiles with 300-1000g oxygen tiles around them. Since gas is easily compressible, it would make more sense to have any multi-tile gas formations compress in order to equalize pressure. This also applies to vacuums and pressure equalizing of single-type gas bodies, which has an adverse effect on gas pump efficiency and by extension the ability to de-pressurize an area.

As an example, my base ended up with the lower half flooded with CO2 at about 100g per tile, whilst the upper half was a mixture of the oxygen types at about 400g per tile. Oxygen and CO2 probably have different densities for the same pressure, but I'm pretty sure it's not a 4:1 ratio.

Yes, the gas diffusion definitely needs to be improved, and it's not only when there are multiple gases present.  Observe how slowly the atmosphere spreads after you dig into a cave filled with vacuum.  Ideally, it should rush in explosively (preferably with amusing animations as nearby dirt and duplicates fly around the room).

(And you're correct: oxygen and CO2 have different densities at the same pressure, but nowhere near a factor of 4.  CO2 is denser by a factor of 1.375.)

Yeah the gas diffusion rate is more like for  thick liquids... I am not sure if it will make the game easier or harder if it was more realistic, but it sure seems weird... In a house if a room went to a vacuum it would only take about a second to come back up to about atmospheric pressure if someone opened a door.... 

Archived