Renewable Algae

Since Algae is such a large part of oxygen production (unless you use electrolyzers), I feel like renewable algae should be a function of a structure from the section branching off farming. Though we have Algae terrarium, they tend to consume algae in order to produce oxygen. Though, arguably, that's not how it works in real life, it seems decent for game balance. Until you run out of Algae altogether and have to rely on farms for food, and electrolyzers for oxygen. And then you run out of water and your game ends.

1 minute ago, MattBold said:

I think that is the point though.  I think Algae farms are supposed to be the step before a more renewable source like water, no?

water is non-renewable, and would lead to base relocation. Or at least a hefty distance traveled to find more water (which seems to get harder as you move farther from the dupe portal).

9 minutes ago, jjcm04 said:

so would it be best to put the morp with the puff since the morp creates the contaminated oxygen and then the puff inhales it?

Technically, yes. However, the morb requires hydrogen iirc. It converts hydrogen into contaminated oxygen.

I think the algae farms should also produce a small amount of algae... I mean Algae does grow, so maybe it produces a small amount... maybe not as much as one costs to refill but maybe... half or so? Just a suggestion.

Perhaps plants from farming could also cleanse CO2 a bit as well... though only the Briarbloom or whatever actually has leaves. =p

4 hours ago, Wizzard4Life said:

toilets,showers,carbon dioxide filter, these machines create contaminated water, and a contaminated water filter can make into normal water again wich you then can use to power your  electrolyzer to get oxygen

But they all consume water in order to work. You're still going to run out of water.

Renewable aglae would be great, but for balance I dont think it should be easy to get. have a system in place like you need an 'algea farm; that needs water and a small amount of algae to begin with then reproduce algea at a slow rate using water as the continuing resource they would still produce a small amount of O2 but becuase they are focusing on breeding far less than an algae terrarium. IMO the more complex the better.

I like the idea of plants taking in CO2 and releasing oxygen.  You could cultivate a huge greenhouse type of room (which you see in most sci-fi films on big spaceships etc), and pipe in CO2/light to increase efficiency.  More of a late game type of thing

Technically, Algae grows amazingly when given light and water, so the terrarium is definitely not functioning realistically. In fact, a byproduct should be extra algae, slime and contaminated water that the Dupes need to remove (else the terrarium dies). It's feels very wrong atm. I think for balance it should require a light source and a fair amount of fresh water just to work.

If anything Algae should have been made a potential issue. It should be getting into water pipes, causing blockages and generally being a pain if its not maintained. I expect that they'll add something like a Fuel Cell power source (that produces water as a by-product) in future and rebalance terrariums to make sense once water is more abundant for end-game extraction equipment. And anything that has sitting water or water intakes will be constantly getting wrecked by Algae and Slime.

End Game Dupes really should just be running around fixing clogs, repairing break downs and finding a place for the waste build up (which is what we really don't even have in alpha yet, the only thing that kills us is running out of stuff).  

Archived