PS4 targeting system needs work.

Now i really love DST, RoG etc but one thing that I cant stand is the targetting system for combat. It is increadibly difficult to manage in combat as half the time my character will auto lock onto the wrong thing. Here are a few examples of where it becomes a real hassle. For example if there is a tier 3 spided den and you quickly want to destroy the den and ignore the spiders. The game will refuse to target the den but instead hard lock onto the spiders close by thus forcing me to just spam square until the AI feels that it is ready to allow me to target the den.

a similar thing happens when fighting things like eye plants or basically anything for that matter that involves multiple enemies. 

And dont even get me started on trying to kill a big tenticle on ps4. That must have been the most frustrating experience of my life. You cannot hit that thing because of how many other little tenticles are nearby. Your character will refuse to target the big tenticle and just keep auto locking onto all the other little tenticles nearby. It was such a nightmare to try kill a big tenticle on ps4.

im sure this is something that gets complained about a lot but can we please get some kind of better AI or a way to turn off predictive targetting which is what i assume this game uses on ps4. 

Perhaps add a feature that allows you to say click on L3 to keep your targetting locked onto a certain mob or whatever so your lock on doesnt just jump around all over the place when you specifically want to target a specific thing but instead stays on whatever you were looking at/highlighted when you clicked L3. And then you can maybe improve upon this by allowing players to scroll through nearby enemy lock ons by pressing the left and right arrows which will cycle through what is near you while locked in using L3? Seems like a simple yet effective way to fix this issue

I dont know if any devs will read this and I dont mean to sound whiny but it really is so increadibly difficult to battle on console. I know this game's primary target and platform is PC and PS4 is just a port but I still believe if it is going to be sold to PS4 owners it deserves some love too.

while im on the subject we also need some kind of new building mechanic. Planting things like bush bushes or grass turfs, saplings, chests, rabit/pig houses etc. can be extremely difficult to place where you want to on console. Maybe perhaps adda feature where you can hold down a button like L2 which opens up a curser type feature to more accurately place something? Idk

i dont spend a lot of time on these forums so if anyone could please tag an active dev to this thread that would be appretiated 

I think it's a good idea! But maybe make it R3 instead so we can still move while targeting? This way it'll still work when you're in the heat of battle! 

The only thing I wouldn't know how to go about doing, is knowing which enemy you're currently targeting. The obvious answer would be an outline on the enemy but that doesn't fit with Don't Starve. Maybe your character says the "examine" quote whenever you target an enemy? Seems like that could work :D

1 hour ago, swooooop said:

I think it's a good idea! But maybe make it R3 instead so we can still move while targeting? This way it'll still work when you're in the heat of battle! 

The only thing I wouldn't know how to go about doing, is knowing which enemy you're currently targeting. The obvious answer would be an outline on the enemy but that doesn't fit with Don't Starve. Maybe your character says the "examine" quote whenever you target an enemy? Seems like that could work :D

The game already highlights the enemy you looking at. If you look carefully they tend to very very slightly glow/shine 

35 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

The game already highlights the enemy you looking at. If you look carefully they tend to very very slightly glow/shine 

Oh really! Huh, shows you exactly how much I fight things :p well then yeah sounds like your idea is pretty solid, man. 

If were gonna discuss Controls, I suggest this post.

These are good ideas Klei, Better controls and being abled to customize your button layout makes the game better nowadays for players. It gives us the choices to play the way we want to, plus the console version's controls needs some fixing with combat and setting and resetting tooth traps, these too me are the most problems I've seen so far from playing this game.

• If you could make tooth traps like the pc version and just let us hold the Circle button to fix all the tooth traps, that would fix the problem.
  • Having certain objects around us disables the ability to fight mobs and the target system needs some adjustments, if theirs an object in the way, you can't fight the target that you intended to hit.

Lag isn't a problem :) that's the main thing I noticed playing the PlayStation 4 vs pc, the game is always running good, but that's just because /I have  a decent pc vs a ps4 with a better core and such.

7 hours ago, AniMike said:

If were gonna discuss Controls, I suggest this post.

These are good ideas Klei, Better controls and being abled to customize your button layout makes the game better nowadays for players. It gives us the choices to play the way we want to, plus the console version's controls needs some fixing with combat and setting and resetting tooth traps, these too me are the most problems I've seen so far from playing this game.

• If you could make tooth traps like the pc version and just let us hold the Circle button to fix all the tooth traps, that would fix the problem.
  • Having certain objects around us disables the ability to fight mobs and the target system needs some adjustments, if theirs an object in the way, you can't fight the target that you intended to hit.

Lag isn't a problem :) that's the main thing I noticed playing the PlayStation 4 vs pc, the game is always running good, but that's just because /I have  a decent pc vs a ps4 with a better core and such.

Yea anything that requires placing down multiple objects especially smaller ones or fighting multiple mobs is so increadibly difficult. Like i mentioned in my original post somethng like the big tenticle is literally impossible on console

1 hour ago, bestnick8 said:

Came across this problem in my first Spring, lured a TreeGuard to a MooseGoose... While they were slogging it out, I tried to get some hits on MG, but it constantly targeted the TG. Tried from many different angles to no avail.

Yup stuff like this tends to happen all the time on console. Its like the game tries to assist you on targeting but in the end its actually you who are assisting it. The targeting AI has an overriding rule. If it wants to target something that you dont want to well then its pretty much rip. You just got to accept it and let it attack whatever it likes with the way it is now

I really hope they fix that. It's a really great game.

One othe thing I can't find solution for is, I want to be able to cook from my fridge/chest directly into the crock pot, just like on PC.
Is there a way to do that on console. I hope I'm missing something if not, Klei better fix that too. Pleaseeee.

Archived