A potential way to do boats in code?

Basically, boats would be:

Beefalo that slowly kill themselves when ridden (dependent on boat)

Have a different speed (dependent on boat)

ALWAYS SADDLED (because they can always be ridden)

100% Obedience, always (duh...)

Not require food

Overwrite ANIM and FSB files

Make it craftable

Allow crafting on sea

Since Beefalo already allow dismounting back onto land, iirc, this is a perfect way to do boats. Hacky? Yep. Would it work? Also yep. Do I have the skills to do it myself (Nope.)

If anyone feels like trying this, report back, it would be fun :p

All or most Shipwrecked content should be in plain-text Lua too, so it's possible to copy over some code to use as a starting point. Although the way the sea works would probably be much different in DST/RoG, but still.

Sure, your idea might work too, with some overrides or hacks to allow the "Beefalo" and mounted player to move freely on the sea (and also to make that "Beefalo" never throw you off, probably would be an easy part). We won't know until someone tries.

7 hours ago, Vargling said:

That's not my point. You can ride a beefalo on the current sea, and iirc can dismount onto land (also onto sea, but that can be patched) - It could work.

I understand it wasn't your point, but obviously you missed mine. Why waste time on this when you have nothing to do after it's implemented? Your hurdle is still the same as before, getting islands/ocean working.