Increase DST Server Size (Number of Max Players)

Hi there Klei gods,

Currently, everyone's default non-dedicated max server size is 6, but from what I see persistently on Twitch is that servers will often fill up, and viewers wouldn't be able to join to play. I want to make the suggestion that the max default server size be increased to 8.

Have an awesome day,

Aeglefire

:OOO I know how to do this, pick me pick me! This is my opportunity to be a helpful and productive member of society!!
Ok so,

1. Go to your Steam Library and right click Don't Starve Together and click properties
2. Click the tab labeled Local Files
 Click Browse Local Files
4. Open the Data folder
5. Open the Scripts folder
6. Go to Tuning (I recommend using the search bar)
7. Hit Ctrl+F and type in MAX_SERVER_SIZE and then hit Enter

The default value for the max server size should be equal to 6, but you can adjust it to whatever number you want.
Note that every new update will override your game data and set the value back to the default 6, so you'll have to go back and change the server size after every new update. This only applies for creating new servers though, so if you already made a server with a max player size of 8, then it wouldn't reset back to 6.

I hope this was helpful!

@KoreanWaffles is right in the instruction, however let it be known that the real cap is 64. And indeed, updates do reset existing servers. Whenever tuning.lua is changed, after launching the game next time, you'll see you only have one slot marked and the setting is called "ALONE". Changing the value to what you had previously in the file will return you to your previous values.

Now the opinion part of this thread. I host servers of 16 and 22 player slots by default. I learnt to increase the number early on and never looked back. This stems from having a group, no doubt - you won't really want to have big servers when you can only count on strangers.

However, I'm against increasing the cap by default above the six slots we have at the moment. Those whose machines can handle more players without lag will find the solution KoreanWaffles and I speak of. The majority needs a fluid experience of hosting, without the issue of dealing with griefers while lagging. If Klei had a higher default cap, people would clearly use it - and then complain of issues on their side (too little RAM, processors not good enough etc.). So here's my outlook on the matter. Hosts with better machines are prevalently very tech-savvy already, so they'll easily find out (gee, I don't consider myself a prophet of IT and I figured it out by idly perusing the LUA!). For others, six player slots, optimised by Klei to run on a potato, will be sufficient.

Archived