[Beginner] about Character design?

Dear all,

I just beginner here. Start learning modding from edit another mod. Well, just for testing and understand more before I can create one myself.

And my first edit-mod is a Character for my wife =)) lol.

Problem is the origin character has no... eyes, and my wife loves blue hair :))

So, I edit the "workshop-zzzzzzzzzz\exported\zzzzzz\zzzz.zip

Because I see in that zzzz.zip has all of Character Picture (eyes, hair...). Well, I edited them, zip it back with window default ability. And I replace the origin zzz.zip by the new one.

But when I created a new server to test it, it just look like the old one (character with no eyes and black hair)?

Can some one please tell me how to fix it?

Thank you very much,

Welcome. I'm no modder, just a writer, but one thing you definitely want to obtain before doing any publishing - the permission of the original's author to adapt the assets.

Some general ideas? If you're rezipping with the default Windows function, you may run into problems. I bet the DST modding tools have their own compressing software you have to use. Beside that, files are likely referenced all across. If your new ones aren't linked in all the right places, they won't work.

As I'm no DST modder (I don't think writing examination quotes and being able to put them in the right bit of the code plus some direct edits of the LUA for my servers can count), so @SenpaiArtorias's template is a very good start. Good luck!

Dear Arlesienne,

I just edited mod for testing and learning, and use it for family game, not publish it. So, yes, in fact I should ask for permission first, but you know, sometime you can just ask everyone about their mod just for testing it yourself.

But anyway, thank for you advise.

I solved my problem now, and understand more about how the mod work. I will do one myself from the Tutorial he gave me. Thank you all.