[HELP] Trouble with Mods Dedicated Server

I've looked most of the guide about DST dedicated servers with caves. It was complicated but i did it. No matter how much i try. I could not customize the world and add mods. I have good pc. I added 60 mods or so. I configure the mods. I spent hours,days. It did not work. Server works perfectly without mods and customized world. Please help me. Please explain very detailed. I really need your help. Sorry for the bad English. Hope you will answer. 

Hello @Savass, welcome to the forums. As far as I know there are several aspects of a Dedicated server wherein mods would fail OR not load at all. I'll discuss World Customization later on, below is the possible reasons why mods won't work for your dedicated server. BE SURE that DST is closed before you start moving/copying/editing files around.

Mods Troubleshooting

Mods not compatible with each other

This is the most common cause for why mods don't usually work. You have over 60 mods, that all modify the game in some way. The chance that there are two mods modifying the same things is high. With that, conflict arises and crashes happen. One sure fire way to make sure all those (+60) mods work together properly is to test them out with DST's Host Game screen.

Generate a New World with all those (+60) mods active (for future reference, generate the world in Slot 1). You don't have to fiddle with world customization at this point since we're only testing the mods. So again, in the Host Game screen start a New World with those mods active and feel free to toggle their custom options. If you are able to play in the server with all those mods active and working. OR if NO crashing happens when you start up the server, then it's safe to say that all of the mods are compatible with each other.

If it does crash, then you'll have to diagnose which mod is causing the issue. The server_log.txt under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Master OR Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves should point out what mod went haywire.

Cluster_1 is the server files for Slot 1 in the Host Game screen. Cluster_2 is for Slot 2, Cluster_3 is for Slot 3 and so on...

Once you have an idea which mod could possibly be causing the crash, disable that one mod and start up the server again and see if it still crashes. Do this until you are able to play the game without crashes. You'd want to rule out mod incompatibility as soon as possible.

There is also a possibility that some of the mods are out-dated and haven't been updated in a while (since DST itself is still in development). So test whether all those mods can even work together.

Modoverrides.lua Syntax Issue

Another common cause of mods not working is that the syntax is incorrect inside the modoverrides.lua file. For that reason, I'd like to suggest a method that would probably be best when making modoverrides.lua files, cause with this method you wouldn't have to fiddle around with typing out every data and manually making sure you're using the right syntax. This involves generating an in-client server with mods that you want to use configured to the way you want it to and then just copying it over to your own dedicated server's folder. The method is as follows:

Spoiler
  • Start up DST.
  • Click Host Game.
  • Click New Server in Slot 1.
  • Set the server intention in the Server Settings so the world can start.
  • Toggle the mods you want to use.
  • Configure the mods as you see fit.
  • You don't have to make caves for this.
  • Once done, generate the world.
  • Once connected to the world, disconnect from the server.
  • Go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\.
  • Under the Master folder, get the modoverrides.lua and that is the modoverrides.lua you'd want to use for your server.
  • Now paste that modoverrides.lua in your own dedicated server, modoverrides.lua should be placed in both Master and Caves of your dedicated server.

Modoverrides.lua located in the wrong directories or locations

I'm not entirely certain its the same for all other operating systems, but as far as I know the Dedicated Server folder and files are in the same hierarchy. Shown below is how the most basic dedicated server should be structured for a Windows Setup if you're going to add mods. You have to make sure you're placing the modoverrides.lua in the proper location which would be both under the Caves and Master Folders.

Spoiler

UpdatedDedicatedFolder.png

+validate command on dedicated server startup overwriting dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua with blank data

If you go into your files and open that .lua file, you'll read it's purpose which would be to download mods in a location for the dedicated server program itself to be able to pull from. You haven't stated which operating system you're starting the server up from but the one I have experience with is SteamCMD on Windows.

So if you are using SteamCMD, be aware that the dedicated server would be pulling the mod data files from Steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods and NOT Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods. The dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua in that folder would be the one to instruct the dedicated server which mods to download.

With that said, when you start up the server (which I'm going to be assuming is with a .bat file for Windows) the +validate command in the .bat file would overwrite the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua into a blank file thus not downloading anything and when there is no mod files to pull from, then the mods won't work.

To remedy this, you can remove the whole line that has the +validate, so when you start up the server it doesn't overwrite it. Be aware though that if DST itself updates, your dedicated server would be out-dated since we removed the +validate command in the start up .bat file. So when you want to update the dedicated server, you'll have to back up your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and all the mod folders (called workshop-###) in Steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods just to be safe. Then put back the +validate command in the start up .bat file and run the dedicated server.

You can also just manually copy over the workshop-### mod folders from Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods to Steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods.

For other operating systems, you'll have say which one you're using.

World Customization Troubleshooting

Worldgenoverride.lua OR leveldataoverride.lua Syntax Issue

I believe either filename works for the basic configuration, but just so you're aware worldgenoverride.lua is the dated filename. The basic configuration can be found here. Troubleshooting for the World Customization is almost the same with the modoverrides.lua methods I mentioned above since they're both .lua files. Below is ALMOST the same syntax method as the one above but you just have to be aware where you paste them.

Spoiler
  • Start up DST.
  • Click Host Game.
  • Click New Server in Slot 1.
  • Set the server intention in the Server Settings so the world can start.
  • Configure the World Options you want to use including the the Caves.
  • Once done, generate the world.
  • Once connected to the world, disconnect from the server.
  • Go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\.
  • Under the Master folder, get the leveldataoverride.lua and that is the leveldataoverride.lua you'd want to use for your server's Master.
  • Now paste that leveldataoverride.lua in your own dedicated server's Master folder.
  • Go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\ again.
  • Under the Caves folder, get the leveldataoverride.lua and that is the leveldataoverride.lua you'd want to use for your server's Caves.
  • Now paste that leveldataoverride.lua in your own dedicated server's Caves folder.

Worldgenoverride.lua OR leveldataoverride.lua located in the wrong directories or locations

Pretty much the same with the modoverrides.lua I showed before. Just make sure the leveldataoverrides.lua you are copying over are in the correct locations. leveldataoverrides.lua from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Master goes into your server's Master folder. leveldataoverrides.lua from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves goes into your server's Caves folder.

World already has been generated

If your worldgenoverride.lua OR leveldataoverrides.lua didn't take effect then that means that the world already has generated. To remedy this, simply open the console while in-game and type the following command:

c_regenerateworld()

Sorry for the very long winded response. I hope that helps, cheers.

"Mods not compatible with each other" I did days of testing these mods. They all synchronized. And I can not start a normal server. I mean it works but some files are missing. Also without caves. I could not start a cave too. I did not understand the guides of making server with caves and mods. My English is not so good. I understand everything you said there. I need a good, detailed, simple guide. If you could write one I would be greatful for you.

@Savass

The "...some files are missing.." part is confusing, since you already said it "works" but then... it doesn't(?)... hmm.

I think you should start with something simple first and see if it works. You've said before that you are able to start up a Dedicated Server with Caves that works perfectly without mods. Can you confirm that is true?

Sadly, I can only direct you to guides that has worked for other people and it's pretty detailed enough. Don't Starve Together Guides

Try the guides there and see if you'd be able to make it work.

Now it is going good. I'm making server slowly. On the host game tab i tested all mods. And "modify ownership" mod doesnt work somehow. I couldn't make it work. That's one problem. Other one is... After the setup of dedicated server on this guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=590681995     may i add mods? Or during the setup? I'm gonna use a mod named "Advanced World Generation" It customizes world. So my question is this. Shall i add mods and c_regenereta () or shall i add mods during process? If i should add mods during process on which step shall i add? 

@Savass

With the questions you asked, I recommend you simply start up a server and see if you can get it to work properly. I'm not certain with the "Modify Ownership" mod but check the workshop page and see whether other people are also having issues with it. With regards to "Advanced World Generation", you probably can just c_regenerateworld().

Add mods after you've properly set up the dedicated server + caves to work together.

With regards to the image you posted, I that's cause you didn't properly defined which server is the slave(caves) and which is the master(overworld). Double check the server.ini under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\YourServer\Master and in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\YourServer\Master.

For the server.ini under the Master folder - it should contain the following line.

is_master = true

While for the server.ini under the Caves folder - it should contain the following line.

is_master = false

Also make sure that the server.ini file you made are actually .ini files and not accidentally saved as server.ini.txt files (which is still just a notepad text file). To actually save them as .ini files, open them again then click File > Save As > Click Save As Type: > Select All Files > Write "server.ini" in the file name > Save.

i think your worldgenoverride.lua is wrong for your server cave

try with this worldgenoverride.lua for your server cave

http://pastebin.com/raw/2ZdRhrQL

delete your all files in your both folder save:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\save

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\save

and now start your dedicated server

Archived