Game freezes after selecting Custom Character

Hey guys; was hoping I could figure out everything on my own, but I was going to have a major problem at some point.

I've looked up my issue and haven't come up with any results; I am making my own character mod with Dleowolf's Extended Sample Character Mod, and I decided to try to test it in-game now that everything else seemed stable code-wise in the selection screen and the clothes screen, but I got stuck on this blank beige screen after going through both.

Spoiler

untitled_by_pastaandwhiterice-da8mac5.pn

This occurs immediately after selecting the character and starting the world. (currently using an offline world)

I will be attempting to add two character companions with summoning items for them (not ghosts, but still similar to Abigail in behavior) to my character later, but that can wait for another forum topic, if need be.

20 minutes ago, DarkXero said:

In those cases, you go get the MyDocuments/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/client_log.txt

You can try reading it yourself or upload it here so we can take a look.

got the same problem i hope you know what to do

client_log.txt

Edited by Yrreg

11 minutes ago, Yrreg said:

got the same problem i hope you know what to do

[00:00:00]: Initializing Steam
[00:00:00]: Steam doesn't seem to be running. Trying to restart the game via Steam.
[00:00:00]: Error, Steam failed to initialize, result=1...
[00:00:00]: The application will now exit
[00:00:00]: Shutting down

Doesn't look like the same problem because you can't even reach the character select, apparently.

Do you have Windows 10?

7 minutes ago, DarkXero said:

[00:00:00]: Initializing Steam
[00:00:00]: Steam doesn't seem to be running. Trying to restart the game via Steam.
[00:00:00]: Error, Steam failed to initialize, result=1...
[00:00:00]: The application will now exit
[00:00:00]: Shutting down

Doesn't look like the same problem because you can't even reach the character select, apparently.

Do you have Windows 10?

i got windows 7. mhh not sure but i can select the character select and choose one but then i stuck here

Unbenannt.PNG

Edited by Yrreg

5 minutes ago, Yrreg said:

i got windows 7. mhh not sure but i can select the character select and choose one but then i stuck here

Do you have steam open? Are you trying to make a server with or without caves?

Try deleting the client_log and getting a fresh one right after the games crashes and you close it.

13 minutes ago, Yrreg said:

to you first question, i make no caves and tried the it its still stuck there but got this now

Yrreg
Yrreg_none

prefab files should be lowercase.

prefab names (of the prefabs returned inside the prefab file) HAVE to be lowercase, so if your character prefab is Yrreg, change it to yrreg.

21 minutes ago, DarkXero said:

Yrreg
Yrreg_none

prefab files should be lowercase.

prefab names (of the prefabs returned inside the prefab file) HAVE to be lowercase, so if your character prefab is Yrreg, change it to yrreg.

ok i changed my it now and started the game i got now a error with these

and when you need the client too i send it with

Unbenannt sdaf.PNG

client_log.txt

or i need to change all names with Yrreg with yrreg?

Edited by Yrreg

55 minutes ago, DarkXero said:

In those cases, you go get the MyDocuments/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/client_log.txt

You can try reading it yourself or upload it here so we can take a look.

I haven't a clue what half of this log means; My character's name is Itsuki, so any information related to that name should be important in this particular situation. It's not getting stuck anymore, but now it just crashes. It still only does it with this mod, but I do have others installed; just not enabled in the world I try to start.

client_log.txt

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:23 PM, Yrreg said:

OK thx it work now i have changed all things
ty you a lot

did you write Itsuki in .lua Big or little when you write it big change it too little Itsuki-->itsuki

I already changed everything to lowercase. I don't know what's wrong. :/

[EDIT: It's saying that when it tries to index "itsuki" it returns a nil value.]

Edited by AshteriskGaming

43 minutes ago, DarkXero said:

Line 45 and 49 have "Itsuki" instead of "itsuki".

Also, your build is named "Itsuki", but the game loads it as "itsuki" anyways.

Well, I feel stupid. I changed those and it's fixed now. I completely missed the one on line 49 and I thought line 45 was something it wasn't. xD

I had the same problem, but when I changed my characters name in the code to lowercase, the game crashed, significantly worse than before. My character has 2 words in his name, and I put an underscore in between the words in his name, just in case that helps.

I made new versions basically undoing several updates, Might my issue be correlated to the files still being called esctemplate or that my character is invisible when I load up the game?

I'mma try to rename the files, if that doesn't fix the issue, I don't know what to do

So, there is a whole tutorial on debugging in the Tutorials and Guides section of this forum, that would help you a lot.

But basically: go to your Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether folder and grab the error logs. There is the client one that is enough if you're hosting a solo world without caves, and inside the cluster folders there is the server one otherwise.

Every print statement you make will appear in one of those files. They also have the very helpful lua crash handler and stack traceback so it's much easier to correct mistakes.

So, do a bit of messing around with prints and then send us the exact line that causes the crash, coupled with the error message that appears.

1. What I did, was I stripped it down to the bare bones, which was basically making the mod as is, with adjustments to name, version, and description, and renaming the stuff, and I guess also one extra tag, but it isn't much, and the screen freeze issue is still happening, is the extended character template outdated? It worked fine on the weekend.

Also, where exactly are the error logs stored, if it is something on my end?

I'mma try to remove the tag and see if that fixes it, hope I can fix it on my own!