custom custom character animations

hey all. I've been working on a couple of new characters for a mod, but I've hit a couple of snags, primarily with animations. I want one of the characters to move differently than other characters would in their run cycle, and the other character needs a large, single-piece tail. How would I set up spriter/ code for these animations?

second question, not about the animations and probably easier: how do I prevent a character from being able to speak besides using Wes' "mime" tag? Basically, a character that can't talk, like wes, but doesn't mime things either.

1 hour ago, mf99k said:

hey all. I've been working on a couple of new characters for a mod, but I've hit a couple of snags, primarily with animations. I want one of the characters to move differently than other characters would in their run cycle, and the other character needs a large, single-piece tail. How would I set up spriter/ code for these animations?

Sorry, I'm not familiar in this at all and cannot assist.

1 hour ago, mf99k said:

second question, not about the animations and probably easier: how do I prevent a character from being able to speak besides using Wes' "mime" tag? Basically, a character that can't talk, like wes, but doesn't mime things either.

AddPrefabPostInit("wilson",
    function(inst)
        if(inst and inst.components and inst.components.talker and inst.components.talker.Say)
        then
            inst.components.talker.Say =
                function(self, ...)
                    -- Do nothing
                end
        end
    end
)

I'm not preserving the old Say function since it's a silencer.

If you want to conditionally silence the player then it's fairly trivial to extend:

AddPrefabPostInit("wilson",
    function(inst)
        if(inst and inst.components and inst.components.talker and inst.components.talker.Say)
        then
            local Say_old = inst.components.talker.Say
            inst.components.talker.Say =
                function(self, ...)
                    if(cond)
                    then
                        Say_old(self, ...)
                    end
                end
        end
    end
)