How do you delete the whole game inc. saved games?

Sine I installed Shipwrecked the whole of Don't Starve has become unplayable - I posted in bug tracker but no replies yet.   Can't control my character correctly, can't open the saved games correctly (it opens ones I hadn't selected instead), can't save or quit the game, have to use cntrl + alt + delete.  It selects the wrong button or ignores everything except 'Continue'.  Seems linked to mouse control but nothing wrong with my mouse.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling only Don't Starve without Shipwrecked, via Steam but no difference.  I can't play at all now.

So I want to try deleting EVERYTHING and starting over and I don't know how to do that. 

My game is on Steam, Vista.

Before you consider deleting everything, I'd suggest you try to save your progress. Here are some easy steapt to give this a try:

1. Close DS before you start
  2. Go to the DS Workshop main screen. http://steamcommunity.com/app/219740/workshop/
  3. Under your avatar picture, you can choose several options: Click on Subscribed Items
  4. Disable all mods. (you can manually favorite them for a later search)
  5. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\mods
  6. Delete all folders except for "screecher". Leave alone the other files.
  7. Load your save file
  8. If you need some mods, test one at the time to find out which one is causing the problem

In case this didn't work: Follow 1-8 steps

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\212931351\219740
  2. Make a hard copy of your save files just in case
  3. Uninstall the game deleting local content
  4. Reinstall the game
  5. Create a new world for testing
  6. If everything works fine you can start a new game or try to load your save file again.
  7. Enjoy! ;)

• Then you might have some local save files in C:\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve. Delete them
  • And delete the folder saves inside  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\212931351\219740

Are you sure you are clicking on delete local content as well when uninstalling the game?

8 minutes ago, Barbarian said:

I tried that earlier as well, but the saved games were still there when I reinstalled.  I think there are other bits in other places too, I'm not sure. 

I deleted the DoNotStarve folder.

I deleted the folder inside Steam/userdata - didn't have one called saves so I deleted the whole 219740 folder.

I went on Steam, right clicked on Don't Starved and selected 'Delete local content'.

I then reinstalled Don't Starve, with ROG but not Shipwrecked, as that's what caused the problem.

Loaded game.

Same things all happening still, no improvement. :(

Try going to settings.ini in DoNotStarve and setting

[STEAM]
DISABLECLOUD = true

that to true, and also your resolutions

[graphics]
HUDSize = 5
fullscreen_width = 1366
fullscreen_height = 768
refresh_rate = 60
fullscreen = true
windowed_width = 1366
windowed_height = 716

manually to your current resolution.

I don't have the same graphics section as you and I'm not sure how to know what is my current resolution.  I changed the cloud setting to disabled, so now I'll try the deleting thing again except not the DoNotStarve folder I just altered.

[STEAM]
DISABLECLOUD = true

[MISC]
ENABLECONSOLE = false
autocompiler_enabled = true
MOTD_IMG = 5

[graphics]
window_x = 0
window_y = 25
windowed_width = 1440
windowed_height = 843

It worked!  I haven't reinstalled Shipwrecked yet, but the base game with ROG is working, ok, and my saved games are all gone which is I think what did it - for some reason the two Shipwrecked saved games must have been messing with everything.

I disabled cloud like you said, then deleted both folders in the userdata folder to be on the safe side.  I'll probably find I've lost other stuff when I play other games, but oh well.

Thanks so much both of you for helping me.  I'll reinstall Shipwrecked later and see what happens, but at least if it messes up again I know how to fix it.

33 minutes ago, Barbarian said:

I don't have the same graphics section as you and I'm not sure how to know what is my current resolution.

Oh yeah, most options in the ini don't appear by default. They start appearing as you start changing them.

So if you don't have, say, "fullscreen = true", you can add it yourself under a [graphics] tag if it doesn't exist.

12 minutes ago, Barbarian said:

Thanks so much both of you for helping me.  I'll reinstall Shipwrecked later and see what happens, but at least if it messes up again I know how to fix it.

Maybe try setting "DISABLECLOUD = false" again to see if the problem comes back or you can recover something?

Maybe an option would be to try to make the game go fullscreen to adjust itself.

If you say you click a button that is a bit down from where you are clicking, try hovering past the stuff you want to click.

I did try hovering and stuff - it was more complex than that in what it was doing, really weird.  Hope it doesn't happen again - maybe it was a conflict with a mod or something, although I had them all disabled.  I'm not going to risk downloading them again.

I'll try putting cloud to false again and see what happens - it would be nice not to have to unlock all the characters again.

Edit: Oh now that was interesting -  nothing was covered of my saved games or characters, but my two new games are gone so all my slots are empty.  I'll try leaving cloud on and start a new game.

Edit 2: I remembered I also turned off Cloud in Steam, by right clicking on Don't Starve and going to properties.  I went and turned it back on, told it yes it could download my saved games back to my computer, went to play, and all the problems had come back.

So going to go through the steps to turn off Cloud again and leave it off.

5 hours ago, Barbarian said:

So going to go through the steps to turn off Cloud again and leave it off.

Alright then.

If you want to reuse steam cloud, you can try resetting the cloud by doing something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADsIv2RUSw

Via corrupting your Don't Starve (already corrupt) data.

You can also use console commands to unlock all characters.

I managed to do a version of that and corrupted my data (just made all the saved games 0 bytes by deleting their content on notepad, then when I re-enabled cloud it asked me if I wanted to upload or download, I chose to upload so then all my game slots were empty.)

So now I can use cloud safely.

If anyone else has the same problem I can help them through it. :)

Archived