[suggestion] Please make yarrctopus a little easier to find

Its a shame how long it takes to find yarrctopus currently, I believe i discovered all coral reefs except the one he is at. Could you please make some divining rod-like item to find him. Or at least make him spawn near teleportato?

4 hours ago, rezecib said:

Maybe your third buried treasure chest could contain a message in a bottle that reveals him or something? That way it takes some work to find him, but you have a method for doing it somewhat reliably.

in DS finding pig king was easy after you found the cobblestone path, one would lead to him and other to another pig village, in SW its practically like finding a pin in a hay stack (no magnets allowed)

Everything in SW is like this though, so I'm not sure why everyone's complaining about the Yaarctopus in particular.

Example: in one world, I found both doydoys on islands which were almost joined together. On my current Wolfgang world, it's day 80ish and I have no idea where the second one is, despite finding basically every other useful thing in the world.

3 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

I'm not sure why everyone's complaining about the Yaarctopus in particular.

Because if you want to really use him, and not just pawn the occasional trinket once a season, then you have to settle near him (due to the fact that he only trades once a day). If it takes a full year to find him sometimes, then that's a full year before being able to set up base.

Edit: Also, doydoys can be relocated once you find them, and also finding all the islands in your world is much easier than finding the yaarctopus, because coral can spawn in tiny patches in random parts of the ocean (I've seen yaarctopus spawns where he's tucked against one edge of the map in a tiny patch of coral), while the islands spawn much more predictably in rings around the center, and you can use water depth as a topological to quickly find all islands (in 30 days or so), if that's what you're setting out to do.

1 minute ago, rezecib said:

Because if you want to really use him, and not just pawn the occasional trinket once a season, then you have to settle near him (due to the fact that he only trades once a day). If it takes a full year to find him sometimes, then that's a full year before being able to set up base.

Okay, that makes sense I guess.

So would a system where you could move the Yaarctopus be better? IDK hoe you'd do it, but I'm sure he'd be fine if you towed him along.

Just now, DeputyDeath said:

So would a system where you could move the Yaarctopus be better? IDK hoe you'd do it, but I'm sure he'd be fine if you towed him along.

Hmm, that's a solution I hadn't though of, but yeah, that would solve the problem for me. Other solutions involve some more reliable way to find him (like the buried treasure one), or a way to bypass the one-trade-per-day limit.

On 17.2.2016 at 7:39 AM, rezecib said:

Maybe your third buried treasure chest could contain a message in a bottle that reveals him or something? That way it takes some work to find him, but you have a method for doing it somewhat reliably.

I really like the idea of finding his location on a message in a bottle! Alternatively, once you've found 3 messages in a bottle then the 4th one could have a 50% chance of containing the Yaarctopus location. It's still a fairly reliable way of finding him but there's still an element of chance involved.

I definitely agree that he's a bit too difficult to find at the moment. Out of my 6 shipwrecked playthroughs I've only found him once.

Archived