Help with speech files

FeatherfacedOwl

I wrote custom dialogue for a character that's currently being worked on, and that somehow broke the game. Can someone take a look to see where I went wrong, or what may have broken it?

This is the only actual gameplay element that I've edited whatsoever. I don't know why it's broken. The file is enclosed below, please check it out ;V;

*I unfortunately can't seem to check the logs that it suggests when the game crashes. Where do I do that?

speech_esctemplate.lua

definitely check the line name. Since the speech file usually just gets overwritten and ignored if there's a bracketing issue, it's probably a naming issue. 

You're using the esctemplate. The first step in using the esctemplate is to rename all the files and related code content. If you did this partially it will confuse the game.

if you didn't change any file names, open the speech file with Notepad++ and see if there's a bracket problem. You can check this on the left hand side of the text. 

47 minutes ago, FeatherfacedOwl said:

This is the only thing that comes up for me when the game crashes. I don't know where to find the line number.

crash.png

I'm incredibly dense and am now reading the guide you linked. I thought that was just a quote, but I'll see about it before going back. Sorry!

3 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

It should say the line number next to the file name.

This did the trick! Thank you so much! You know what I was missing?

I apparently deleted a single quotation mark somewhere down the line where I didn't mean to. One. Single. Line. I fixed it and it's all booting up correctly!

On 2/6/2016 at 2:17 PM, FeatherfacedOwl said:

This did the trick! Thank you so much! You know what I was missing?

I apparently deleted a single quotation mark somewhere down the line where I didn't mean to. One. Single. Line. I fixed it and it's all booting up correctly!

Codes are VERY picky. One comma in one of Don't Starve's hundreds of code files completely broke the game for me once. I'm glad you got it working

Archived